2: Smoothies and Shaving Cream

I slam my locker shut and I walk to the cafeteria. I am surrounded by people who don't even notice me in this busy hallway and I suddenly feel small. In my old town, I was known as Jaycee Williams. The girl who spray painted her school and always wore her signature Dr Martens.

I wince at the thought of me now; the new girl with the hideous cast on my wrist.

Do something outrageous! My evil self conscious prompts.

I smirk and I walk into Silverridge High's hideous cafeteria with an off white tiled floor and dark blue tables. It was such a divided place, with all cliques separated.

The populars obviously had their own place and I roll my eyes at the sight of cheerleaders and jocks in the centre. One girl stands out, she has dark brown hair and a skinny frame sitting on some guys lap laughing. He looks so miserable, he has messy black hair and a large built body and is forging a smile.

I weave through all the desks and I see Cameron and Nate looking at me and smiling with some girl.

"Hi nerds." I say as I sit down.

"What's up?" Nate says, "For the record, I'm not a nerd. Maybe Cameron is but I am so definitely not." And he starts flexing his muscles. "Is this for a nerd?" He says breathing heavily.

"I'm gonna go get a smoothie before you blind me for life Nate."

I stand up and I go to the endless line. I hear some of the emo's blasting out My Chemical Romance from the other side of the cafeteria.

Once I grab my energy bar and red plum smoothie, I start trekking back to our table. I  start nodding my head to the loud music and I don't even notice me spilling my smoothie all over someone and me skidding to the ground.

Suddenly, I hear a loud shrill scream. The cafeteria goes dead silent. I look up from the dirty ground to see that same girl from the populars table.

"What the f*ck!" She screams.

"Oops!" I say as I pull myself up.

"Oops? That's all you say new girl? Do you have any idea who you are looking at?"

"A major pain in the a*s?" I say trying to go past her. And everyone does that 'OHH!' thing.

"B*tch! I will ruin you! Let this be a warning to you!" She screams even louder now that my back is facing her.

"Good luck with that."

She screams again but louder this time. "Sheila! Come and help me!"

A girl stands up from the populars table and shuffles towards her with a wad of paper towels.

Once I walk to the table where Cameron and Nate are sitting and then the noise kicks off again.

"Vanessa you are fearless!" Nate declares stretching back on his plastic chair.

"What?" I say chewing my energy bar.

"That was Nicole Brown, the most popular girl at school." Cameron explains.

"And the one with the sexiest legs..." Nate says staring after her.

Cameron thumps him on the head and I start laughing.

"How are you so lame but hit so hard?" Nate says.

Cameron simply shrugs and goes back to eating his potato salad.

The lunch period continued with us chatting until some girl wearing a plaid skirt and white shirt with thick rimmed eye glasses and short brown hair walked up to us.

"Um. Hi guys." She says.

"Hi Olivia." Cameron says kindly.

Nate doesn't even give her a second glance. I feel bad because she is staring at him wistfully.

"Hi. My name is Vanessa. Van for short." I say breaking the awkard silence.

"Oh I know you. Everyone does. You're basically known by everyone because of what you've just done!" She babbles.

"Olivia? Can you maybe leave us alone? We where kinda having a conversation." Nate says coldly.

"Oh okay! Bye guys!" She says disappointed.

She walks off with books in her hand out of the cafeteria.

"Rude much?" I say facing Nate

"It's a long story. Just forget it." He says quickly.

"Ok, ok!" I say raising my hands. Suddenly the bell rings and we start parting ways.

"Are you going to Nicole's party on Friday?" Nate yells as I walk away.

"After what happened? No thanks." I call back.

"Your loss! It's going to be awesome!" He says and turns the corner.

I grab my Trigonometry books and I walk outside to the bleachers. I pull out my secret box of cigarettes and I start smoking secretly.

Yes, I smoke. A lot. Once I start I can't stop. After about five minutes I hear a deep voice coming from behind me.

"So the infamous new girl with a cast smokes? Anything else the school should know?"

"What are you doing here? I came here first now get lost!" I snap, my back still facing him.

"I should get lost? I think it's the opposite honey." He laughs dryly.

I turn quickly to see the guy with black hair with a lighter and box of cigarettes in his hands.

"Who are you?" I say.

"You don't know who I am? Man. I'm Zack, also known as Nicole Brown's boyfriend." He leans against the wall next to me and lights his cigarette.

"I almost feel bad for you." I say rolling my eyes.

"And you are?" He says coming closer to me.

"Van." I say shortly.

"Well Van, maybe we could get to know each other better?" He says edging closer to me, our noses touching.

On my second day? Can I really do this? I contemplate in my head

I push him lightly and I stamp out my cigarette hard with my heel.

"I may be bad. But I don't cheat." I say walking away.

"Then that doesn't make you a badgirl!" He calls afte me.

Realising I'm twenty minutes late, I ditch the class together and when I go to get my bag from my locker, my locker is filled with shaving cream.

"Bitch!" I yell. Heads turn and people start laughing.

I storm off to Nate and Cameron angrily in the library.

"I need your help!" I yell.

"Shh!" The librarian is staring at me coldly.

"With?" Cameron whispers.

"We're breaking into school. Tonight." I say sitting down opposite them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, this was fun! Vanessa is meeting new people! I wonder what's going to happen next?

Seriously I don't know. I make up this story as I go along.

Kisses!
Naomi 😘