Chapter 4

Nicki

"You look pathetic! Pick it up, ladies!" I heard the voice in my nightmares yell.

"This bitch," Nae shot me a look as we ran around the track. Coach Chimere stood in the shade, enjoying her water. We've been running for what feels like forever, and I can't feel my legs anymore.

"Alight last lap!" Coach Graham called out. I mentally thanked him as we finished the last one. We all huddled up as I tried to catch my breath. "Five-minute break, and then we'll start with the choreography," he told us as we headed inside. I leaned against the wall and let out a groan.

"I can't feel my fucking body," I called out to my friends.

"I'm officially dead," Ave spoke as she plopped on the floor.

"I wanna kill that bitch," Nae huffed as she caught her breath. Blake just stood in front of us, barely sweating.

"It's hot as hell, and we ran for miles. How the hell are you not dying?" Ave looked at her weirdly.

"I work out," she shrugged.

"It helps if you stand up with your hands above your head," Terrence offered as he walked by.

"Water break is over," Coach Chimere called out. I rolled my eyes at the sound of her voice as we got into position.

"Start it from the top," Coach Graham said. We continued the choreography, and I did it perfectly. Coach Graham eyed me but kept his mouth shut, and I guess it was better than telling me I was doing something wrong. I went through practice without being yelled at individually, making me question Coach Graham. What is wrong with him?

"Is it just me, or was Coach Graham quieter than usual?" Nae asked as we walked towards the car. I nodded in agreement but then remembered our conversation from last night.

"Hold on," I grabbed Nae's arm to stop her from walking. "We'll meet you guys in the car," I told Ave and Blake while tossing Ave my keys.

"Alright," Ave shrugged it off while walking to the car with Blake. Nae sighed as she turned to me.

"I'll take it that this is about last night?" She questioned.

"You can't say shit like that and just hang up on me. What the hell, Nae?" I looked at her oddly because this was unlike her.

"Well, if you want the truth, then I know her. I've known her for years," she admitted.

"That explains the tension," I nodded and encouraged her to go on. She bit her lip and seemed to contemplate what she was about to say. "I don't want you to lie to me, we don't do that, and it's not about to start now," I stated.

"We were friends, alright? I don't know what you want me to tell you. We were friends, and then we weren't," she shrugged.

"Nae," I sighed.

"I fucked up another friendship. It's what I do, and you know it. I moved to Cali when I was twelve and didn't come back here until I was sixteen. Blake was the first friend I made there. She reminded me a lot of you, but I would've never thought you were cousins. She stopped talking to me when I was about fifteen. It was out of the blue, and she just straight-up avoided me. Then Aaron came into the picture," she paused. I tried not to roll my eyes at the sound of his name, but it was hard.

"Carry on," I motioned.

"We both know that he was a bad influence on me. There was this stupid party that I wished I never went to, but I did. He drugged me, and shit happened, but then I remember Blake helping me. She made sure I got home safe, and I tried to apologize for anything I might have done to push her away, but she shut me out. She told me never to talk to her again and that it was for the best. I never saw her again until she moved here," she concluded.