Chapter 2

Last night was horrible. I couldn't sleep. Not only was the mattress of my new bed equivalent to sleeping on the cold cement floor, but when I would actually fall asleep, I would relive the moment I lost my parents.

I made my way to the cafeteria. It made me nervous walking around seeing policemen watching everyone so intently with their hands on their holsters, prepared to open fire as soon as needed.

The people that had us all here, I don't even know what you call those people or what "here" really is, had is on strict diets. Since getting food will be difficult, they only give us enough to survive.

For breakfast, we had buttered toast and a glass of water. I found Gage and sat with him. He sat propping his head up with his hand and his other hand in his lap. He just stared at his untouched toast.

"Good morning." I greet him.

"Morning." he mumbles. I take a bite of my toast.

"What's wrong? Not hungry?" I asked. He shakes his head, "don't feel good." he groaned. My heart rate sped up.

"Maybe you just need some food. C'mon, eat up." I hold his toast close to his mouth. He just turns his head away. The policeman by the entrance takes notice of me trying to get Gage to eat. He slowly walks in our direction.

I whisper intently to Gage, "you've gotta make yourself eat, Gage. They're going to think you're infected." Gage glances at the policeman headed our way, he grabs up the toast and takes a bite. The policeman slows more and then stops but keeps a close eye on Gage.

I let out a breath, "Gage, you have to remember, they cannot take chances. If they even assume you may be infected, they'll shoot you. No questions asked."

He reaches his fingers into his mouth a wiggles a loose tooth. He says with a mouthful of hand, "but I really don't feel good." I put my finger to my mouth and shushed him.

"Just keep eating and be quiet." I tell him. I was concerned myself that he may be infected, I was checking over his eyes, nails and hair without making it obvious. His eyes were red and watery, but besides that everything looked fine.

All at once, he gets chalky white, I knew he was going to throw up. I pointed to the bathroom and he took off running to it. There's no doubt in the policeman's mind now. I stood in front of the bathroom door while Gage was violently sick. The policeman stood close by. He takes his handgun from his holster and had it pointed behind my back, waiting for Gage to own the door.

"Wait!" I screamed. I threw myself in the line of fire.

"Get outta the way!" The policeman yelled. Everyone in the cafeteria was looking at us now.

"I've already checked him! He's just sick. Its just a stomach virus! That's all!" I tell back at the policeman. "Gage don't open the door." I tell him.

The policeman yells to Gage trying to sound comforting, "kiddo, we are just going to check you over. We only need to make sure you're okay."

" Don't listen to him, Gage. He's lying! You know what I told you!" Please remember Gage, they can't take chances.

The policeman took a threatening tone, "boy, if you don't come out, we will shoot your friend here, and then we will come in after ya!" I notice three more policemen make their way through the forming crowd.

The doorknob jiggles and I latch onto to it tightly, "Gage, don't!"

The policeman starts counting, "one!" I feel Gage straining to open the door.

"Two!" One more second and I'm dead. I'll be with my parents. This will all be over. But Gage deserves to live. He's strong. I am not.

Gage rips the door open throwing me to the side with it. He screeches inhumanly. I couldn't believe it. He was fine. He was human minutes ago. Now he's one of them. He's infected.