Day 7 -- Melody

I handed Duncan my towel even though it made me feel so...exposed.

He followed me down the wood dock, the supports squeaking under the weight of our footsteps. The second perfect day in a row. Duncan laid our towels side by side under another cloudless blue sky. A slight breeze swirled around us. I had to admit it was a perfect day to nap in the sun and turned around to tell Duncan I approved of his choice. His eye were lowered, those long lashes of his most visible. He raised his eyes to meet mine, and blushed. Was he looking at... me?

"Huh?" he grunted.

Flustered, I said, "I...uh...forgot what I was going to say," and reached for his sunscreen. I dabbed a little on my nose and cheeks, then spread a layer on my chest and stomach. My legs already had a base tan. I held the tube out to Duncan.

He shook his head. "I'm gonna brave it for a while, but I can get your back and shoulders for you. Turn around."

I scooted on my butt, while he squeezed a little white goo onto his fingers.

"I'll have you know this sunscreen was a gift from my cousins, and because I love you, I'm willing to share."

He...loves...me? Wait a sec! Is that twins-love or love-love, because he shouldn't carelessly toss a word like that around. I glanced over my shoulder at him. "Seriously? They gave you sunscreen?"

"They don't want me to get cancer."

I laughed. "That's a good thing, right?"

"Yeah. Now turn around so that I can get you protected."

When his fingers touched my shoulder, I inhaled sharply, then held my breath.

"Cold?" he asked.

"A little."

He gently rubbed it into both shoulders and then started on my upper back. He's killing me. The butterflies punched their time cards and went to work. As he applied more sunscreen, he spoke in his storyteller voice. "Once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess with reddish-brown hair."

I smirked.

"The sun wanted to touch her skin, but it would hurt her because she was so fair. So a handsome—"

"Incredibly handsome or plain ole vanilla handsome?" I asked with a grin.

"Incredibly, but don't interrupt—"

It's rude.

"—it's rude."

"Sorry."

"S'okay, I forgive you. Anyway... back to the story. So this incredibly handsome prince unselfishly shared his SPF 70—"

I laughed. "Sorry. I couldn't help it."

Duncan stopped rubbing. "Really Mel, you're ruining the story."

"I won't say another word if you rub my back some more."

"Promise?"

I turned to look at him and made a zip-my-lips motion.

Duncan put a little more lotion on his hands and went back to rubbing. "Where was I?"

Right shoulder blade. Oh, he means the story. I was tempted to remind him, but didn't want to push my luck.

"Oh yes... the incredibly handsome prince was sharing his sunscreen, which allowed the beautiful princess to be touched by the sun, but not hurt by its strength." Duncan stopped rubbing and storytelling. "There, you're all set."

"Thanks." But really I'mnot all set, because he didn't finishthe story and I want to know if they live happily ever after.