Day 2 -- Melody

I forgave Duncan when he said, "I know you're awake." Yeah, I was a marshmallow when it came to staying angry with him, but that didn't mean I wanted him to see my blubber-damaged face. At least he made the bee joke to keep it light.

In the middle of the night, sometime between sobbing and sniveling, I'd decided I wouldn't tell Duncan how I felt. Maybe when we're old and gray and still friends, I'll be able to tell him that the summer after high school, I kinda fell in love with him for a little while, and we'll laugh about how silly that seems. But, for the time being, I was going to bury those thoughts and spend every possible moment with my best friend before he deserted me for palm trees and pretty girls in bikinis.

Grrrr...I knew how much he'd love girls in bikinis. Keep my feelings to myself-that I could do, but I couldn't make them disappear. After we completed our pancake negotiation, I told Duncan to come in, then brushed my teeth, splashed water on my face, and ran a brush through my tousled hair and pulled it into an elastic. I considered changing clothes, since I'd slept in them, but it didn't make sense to put clean ones on a body in need of a shower. Screw him, he'd have to learn to love my wubbie.

Duncan stood outside the kitchen door, shifting from one foot to the other.

"My parents would have let you in."

"I don't think they're here. The Explorer is gone."

Huh? Stuck to the fridge with a magnet that read, When life gives you lemons, make a gin and tonic! was a note from my mom saying they'd gone to the fruit stand.

"Where are they?" Duncan asked.

I pointed at the magnet. "They went to buy lemons." Not exactly accurate-it was more likely that they'd come home with berries for one of Dad's pies, but I knew it would get a laugh out of Duncan. "Ready for some killer 'cakes?" I knew he was. Duncan loved pancakes more than anything, me included.

He closed his eyes and smiled all blissed out.

While I mixed up the batter and heated the griddle, Duncan sat at the table and filled me in on the drive here. "So, the minute we get on the Interstate, Dad announces he has big news and he figures the ride is a good opportunity to talk about it. More likely he knew we were captives for the next four hours. Anyway, then he drops the bomb: his job, the move. Like you, I figured I was still going to the U, so I was pretty calm about things. I mean, I didn't love that they'd be so far away, and I thought it sucked for Cody, but I figured I'd see them during the holidays."

I nodded as I ladled batter onto the griddle.

"I stayed quiet while Cody went crazy, and then Dad said, 'You're taking this well, Duncan. I can tell you've matured. I thought you'd be more upset about the U.' I asked what he meant and when he explained I went crazy."

"What do you mean crazy?"

"Yelling and shit. Mom started yelling for me to stop yelling. 'Your dad is driving. We don't need an accident on top of everything else right now.'" Duncan did a pretty good imitation of his mom. "That's when I knew she wasn't completely happy about things."

Dad had taught me timing and temperature were everything with pancakes. When they bubbled on top, I flipped them, admiring the perfect golden brown. My stomach growled. I hadn't realized how hungry I was, but I'd missed out on Mr. Wilde's burgers last night. "Hey, can you get the syrup and butter?"

Duncan got up and grabbed silverware, too. He handed me two plates for the pancakes, poured two glasses of OJ, and then stood by me at the counter, watching me finish breakfast. "So, for the next hour Cody and I tried to convince him not to take the job. We got nowhere. I spent the rest of the drive trying to sort out the best way to tell you."

I figured he was exaggerating. No way did he think about me for that long, but it was nice that he said it. I dished four pancakes onto Duncan's plate and gave myself one. Duncan took a bite and closed his eyes again, those thick lashes resting on his cheeks. "They're perfect... like you. Someday you'll make a lucky guy very happy."

Can't that guy be you? "You're a dork. I'm not perfect." Neither were the pancakes, but they were close.

Duncan stared at me, his deep blue eyes soft, and a little sad. A twinkle appeared. It could only mean one thing-a poke was coming. "You're right. You're not perfect. That sweater's gotta go."