Day 8 -- Melody

After their car was packed to the brim with all their regular vacation stuff, combined with the extra stuff they're taking to Florida, Duncan and I inched toward his car. He leaned his back against his door, wrapped his hands around my waist, and pulled me close. My head rested on his chest, listening to the steady bump of his heart, so different from the thumpity fast rhythm of last night. I was aware that all around us everyone was having tearful goodbyes, aware of his family climbing into their car, and the ker-chunk sound of their doors being closed, aware even that my parents had stepped back to our yard, but I stubbornly refused to give up the hold I had on Duncan.

Fortunately, he could be as pig-headed as me.

"Duncan, we're leaving." His dad turned the key in the ignition and the engine roared to life.

"I have to go," he said, not going.

"I know." I managed to lift my head from his chest and look into his eyes. "Twelve months is a long time."

"It'll go fast," he said, but I thought he might be trying to reassure himself as much as reassuring me.

"Text me," I said.

"Yep." Our fingers still entwined, he pulled away from me, until even they slipped apart. He opened the door and took his seat next to Cody, then looked out the window at me. Our eyes locked.

His dad put the car in reverse and backed out of the driveway. I held his gaze until I couldn't, and stood frozen to my spot watching their car recede. Mom wrapped her arm around my waist and we walked back toward our cottage. I thanked God that she didn't say a word.Inside, my phone was chiming.

It read: What's new?

Then: You said to text.

I typed back: I'm making plans for my vacation next summer.