Chapter 1

People think that the Holocaust didn't happen. They think that it was a big Hoax. Heck, a college professor wrote a book saying that it was a Hoax! But I believe it happened. I wasn't there when it happened but I met a WW2 vet who told me about it. He said that what he saw over there is something that he'll never forget. On with the tale.

The airport was crowded with tons of people. They were all going in different directions, trying to find their correct gate or asking for assistance. From what I could tell, there were tons of families that were flying out for spring break. I’m pretty sure that I saw several people from my school in the airport leaving with their families.

As we were going through the airport security, I placed my purse onto the baggage x-ray conveyor belt and then stepped through the scanner. The security officer gave me the “all clear” to go through and grab my bag. While I was doing that, Jacob went through the scanner and as he did, suddenly, the alarms started blaring. Everyone looked at my little brother, who was freaking out a bit, crying “I didn’t do anything!” over and over again. The security looked at Jacob and he lifted his shirt up to reveal that several video games under his shirt.

“Jacob!” Mom yelled as my little brother cringed in fear. My Mother took Jacob’s video games and gave them to the security officer. “I’m so sorry. I had no idea that my son was doing this.”

Mom was able to have a friend of hers come to get the video games while she and Dad scolded my brother, who thought he was going to jail for making the alarm go crazy. I sighed as the chaos ensued and sat down in a chair, listening to the latest single by Taylor Swift. (Don’t judge me because I’m a Swift fan okay?)

After everything was sorted out, we waited in the airport for about an hour for our plane. Jacob had been taken to the bathroom, where Dad gave him a good talking to about the little incident that had occurred. While Mom read a magazine, I imagined myself already in Germany. I could see myself at my Opa’s house, asking him tons of questions about his childhood. He would smile and says, “You are meine Kleine Maddison,”- which translates to my little one. Opa and I were very close. He loved the fact that I was so interested in history, since he seemed to live in the past a lot. Ever since Oma, my grandmother, died when I was a toddler, Opa would only want to talk about things from the past. To me, I always thought that that was Opa’s way of coping with losing Oma.

“Maddison, it’s time to go hon,” Mom told me, getting my out of my thoughts.

I got up, grabbed my bag, and went to the gate with my ticket. The woman scanned the ticket and then allowed me to go down the ramps that lead to the plane. Dad was in front of me while Mom and Jacob were behind me. When we actually stepped onto the plane, I realized that we were on one of the smaller planes instead of the large, commercial planes that were always crowded.

I went to my seat that was right at the front of middle class and sat there with an elderly woman coming to sit next to me. She had so many wrinkles that it was unbelievable. Still, she gave me the sweetest smile as if I were one of her grandchildren. Mom was in a view seats in the back of me with Jacob and Dad was across the aisle with a very obnoxious looking guy sitting next to him. I’d hate to be in Dad’s seat right now, I thought to myself.

As the flight attendant did the demonstration of the safety belt, I reached for my bag and opened it up, pulling out Anne Frank’s Diary. I flipped to a random page and read how Anne was telling Kitty how she was going to be going into hiding with her family. As I read I thought about how Anne could’ve felt as she packed her bag. She was probably scared, realizing that her life would never be the same again.

Apparently, I got so lost in my book that when the captain came on the loud speaker, saying that we were at cruising altitude I was surprised. How had I gotten so wrapped up in Anne’s words? Was it because her life was so much like mine? Was it because I could relate to Anne?

“Reading Anne Frank’s diary I see,” the woman next to me stated. I looked over at her and saw that she was working on crocheting a little scarf.

“Uh, yes ma’am,” I replied politely. “I guess I didn’t realize how engrossed I’ve gotten in the book.”

“Nothing wrong with that. It’s nice seeing your generation interested in history.”

I chuckled. “I’ve always been interested in Anne Frank. Her story is just awe inspiring.”

The grey-haired woman nodded. “You know, I was actually in a concentration when I was a little younger than you.”

I gasped and gaped at the woman. I couldn’t believe it; I was sitting next to a Holocaust survivor! What do I say? I thought. What do I feel? Sorry? Happy?

“Shocking I know. I’ve never told anybody about it, not even my husband.” I looked at the woman in confusion. “He just believes that I escaped the concentration camps.”

“……So, why are telling me all this?”

The woman just looked up at the ceiling, as if she was looking to Heaven for an answer. “To be honest, I don’t know. I just feel that you need to be told this.”

“Wow, I feel honored.”

For the rest of the flight, neither of us uttered a word. I tried to process all of this. Not too long ago, I was sitting in an airport terminal waiting for my plane to come and the next thing I know, I’m listening to this 90 something year old woman explain to me that she was a victim of the Holocaust and I was the first to hear of it. Crazy right? Anyway, I decided to rest, considering I had a long flight ahead of me.

 “Madison, wake-up,” a voice demanded.

I opened my eyes and found myself in a classroom. It wasn’t like any classroom I had ever been in. In fact, it looked like an old fashion classroom from the 40’s. I looked around and saw kids staring at me like I had two heads or something. A few even laughed and giggled as they whispered to one another.

“So glad that you could awaken from your sleep Ms. Madison,” the teacher stated. She reminded me of Ms. Ladile but younger. “Now then, can you please pay attention during lesson time?”

“Uh, yes ma’am,” I quickly stated, just going along with this strange dream.

“Very well then,” the woman stated before turning back to the chalkboard in the front. “Now back to learning this……”

I looked down at my clothes and silently gasped when I saw that I was in a dress that I would probably only wear on a special occasion. “This sure is a weird dream,” I whispered to myself.

As I looked around at the rest of the class, I noticed that most of the kids were kids from school, only dressed in weird clothes like I was. I could spot out a few of my friends and found them passing notes between each other. However, my eyes stopped when I saw a familiar young girl. “It couldn’t be,”

“Now it’s time to present your papers,” Ms. Ladile stated. She looked around the classroom trying to figure out who she would pick out, like a bird trying to decide which worm would be the best to eat. Then her eyes landed on the same girl that I was looking at. “Ms. Anne Frank, please come to the front and present your paper to the class.

That’s right; I was sitting in class with Anne Frank. Anne nodded as she picked up a piece of paper and walked towards the front. She cleared her throat before speaking and this is what she said; “Madison, it’s time to wake-up.”

I blinked before realizing that someone was waking me up.

I looked up and saw my Mother standing over me. “Come on Madison, the plane landed,” Mom told me. “We’re here.”