Chapter Three

We're Parents.

While Cass and Jacob went on a mission, I sat next to Ezekiel poking at his foot while he played on his phone.

"Notice me senpai..." I whisper and he giggles. "Please."

"Ezekiel!" Eve says walking towards us and I lay my head down on my arms. She comes over and takes his phone from him and he tries to retaliate but she interrupts.

"Don't worry. You'll get your game back when we're done." She says and he asks what we are doing precisely. "Ezekiel, I've seen the kind of Librarian you can become... responsible, a leader, someone people can turn to for help. But you haven't reached that potential yet, and we're gonna change that." She says and holds up some bandana like thing.

"I'm not into the kinky stuff," he says and I muffle a laugh, because I could vouch that he very much was. He hits me and I cover my mouth smiling.

"It's not for you it's for me," she says forcing on a smile.

"So you're into kinky stuff?" He asks and cover my face with both my hands trying to suppress my giggles.

"I've set up a series of traps and obstacles in the Library and you're going to guide me through using just your voice." She explains.

"That's ridiculous," Ezekiel says.

"I have every faith in you," she says then looks at me. "You monitor him." I nod my head and she covers her eyes. He quickly grabs my hand and pulls me away from Eve and her training exercise.

*~*

I was sitting on the table in the Annex while Ezekiel sat in a chair on his phone. Eve walks in and i shrug my shoulders.

"I see you got your phone back." She says and crosses her arms.

"And your keys. Just for practice. I have to keep my skills sharp." He says and I throw a pen at his head.

"I'm serious about this, Jones." She says taking her keys and shoving his legs.

"If you were serious about this, you wouldn't have me lead you through traps that you set up. There's no danger in that. You would have me set up the traps, but, obviously, you don't trust me that much." He explains.

"Colonel, I wouldn't bother. Mr. Jones has chosen a path of non-involvement, even when there are lives at stake. He's, well, like Switzerland, minus the odd affinity for cuckoo clocks." Jenkins says walking in then grabbing a few lamps.

"Hold up," I say and jump off the table. "Did you just say 'lives at stake?'"

"Well, I'm hoping to build a new incubator, since the old one is overheating. Ironic, for an incubator." He says and walks out.

"No more games, Jones. There's real danger, and you are gonna get us out of it." Eve says grabbing his phone dragging both of us out of here.

"Oh, Colonel, really, I must protest. Nessie entrusted me with her egg." Jenkins says.

"And now we are entrusting Ezekiel and Delany." Eve says patting our shoulders.

"Nessie? So you're telling me that this is the egg of the Loch Ness Monster?" I ask pointing to the egg.

"Yes, it is. Nessie had to go deal with some overzealous developers on her loch and she asked me to watch it." Jenkins explains.

"Jenkins, the incubator is malfunctioning and I'm betting nothing works as well as good old fashioned body heat." Eve says then hands the egg to Ezekiel. "Now, you can't put it down, you can't walk away from it. Keep it warm until the incubator is fixed."