Chapter Nine

Land Pirate's

Two months. Two months of learning everything we could about anything we could. Jacob went to work with the Monkey King, while the rest of us stayed to work at the Library.

Jacob had just come back earlier today soaking wet. That's when he informed us that Shangri-La was under attack.

"For centuries, the location of Shangri-La has been a deeply-held secret within the magic community." Jenkins says as we all sat down at the big table.

"I'm telling you, the guy swooped in with an army." Jacob says.

"This Asian gentlemen with a group of thugs..." Flynn starts but is cut off by Jacob.

"Not thugs, ninjas." Jacob says. "Ninjas... black PJs, blow darts, the whole nine yards. That's why we gotta get back there, call up everybody we know, clear it out ASAP."

"I think I may know him." Flynn says and pulls out his phone. "Did he look like this?"

"That's him," Jacob confirms.

"Sterling Lam." Ezekiel says recognizing him as well.

"Sterling Lam." Flynn repeats. "Chinese billionaire, collector of antiquities. He and I have crossed paths before... in Cambodia over the Shield of Angora, and I beat him, but it came at a cost." He rolls up a pant leg to reveal a mastery scar.

"So Lam is serious," Eve says.

"That's why we have to go back." Jacob begs.

"Okay, but we go back smart." Eve says. "It gets complicated when mentors are involved. Because you trust and care about them, you make rash decisions."

"I'm not being rash." Jacob exclaims. "He's my sifu. I owe him. You don't understand..."

"Actually, I do." Eve says. "Back at NATO I had an incredible mentor who meant the world to me, but... anyway. The point is, if we go back, we have to know what we're getting ourselves into."

"Well, we know he's a well-funded ninja-commanding badass." Ezekiel exclaims breaking the tension.

"What about Shangri-La?" I ask. "Is it on a ley line?"

"No." Jenkins says. "Doesn't need to be, though. Even before the Monkey King repaired it, it was always a source... powerful source of white magic. It's only thanks to the kings staff and magical tail that he has been able to hold power for so long."

"Repaired?" Cassandra asks. "What happened?" Jenkins glares at Flynn.

"All right, it may have been partially destroyed when I was going after the Spear of Destiny." Flynn admits. "But it wasn't my fault."

"Okay." Eve says. "Can you get us in there using a magic door?"

"Mm, I can get you near the city, but not inside the walls." Jenkins explains. "The city itself is such a powerful source of magic, should it fall into the wrong hands.."

"Magic could be turned to the dark side." I say.

"Yes, and then the balance of good and evil on the Earth... boop." Jenkins makes a little hand gesture.

"Which would give Lam even more bad magic on his side." Cassandra says.

"And further empower Apep." Jacob adds.

"Which means multiple levels of suckage." Ezekiel adds as well.

"But none of that has happened yet." Flynn says hopefully. "Now, according to legend, he who wields the Staff of Shangri-La at sundown becomes its rightful ruler."