E i g h t

After enjoying our coffee together, Fred and I walked to The Hog's Head. He and his brother agreed to go, and apparently so did about 20 others. 

"Thanks for the coffee, Fred. I really enjoyed it," I said as we walked through the snow.

"You enjoyed the date, or the coffee?" He asked, teasingly.

"Both. I enjoyed both of them."

"I'm glad to hear that. We should do it again some time."

I blushed, but smiled at him anyway. "Yeah, we definitely should."

The thought of Harry flashed in my mind. How would he feel about Fred and I being as close as we were already growing? Maybe he'd feel the same way I did when I saw he and Cho together. Then again, it wasn't right of him to try and kiss me, then go date another girl a few weeks later. But, I did the same, which didn't make matters any better. Still, if he thought he had the right to do it, then so did I.

When Fred and I arrived at The Hog's Head, there were a lot of people already there, including Harry and Cho. Harry was up front with Ron and Hermione, while everyone else was seated, or standing, across from them. I saw Luna, George, Ginny, Cho, Neville, the Patil twins, Dean, and a Hufflepuff boy named Zacharias Smith. Of course, there were more, but I didn't recognize them. 

Fred led me over to where George was sitting, and the two of us sat beside him. Once people stopped showing up, Hermione began to speak. 

"Um...hi. So, you all know why we're here. We need a teacher. Well, a proper  teacher. One who's had real experience with defending themselves against the Dark Arts."

"Why?" Zacharia questioned.

"Why? Because You-Know-Who's back, you tosspot!" Ron barked.

"So he says," The Hufflepuff retorted, gesturing to Harry, who already looked humiliated and miserable.

"So Dumbledore says," Hermione retaliated.

"So Dumbledore says because he says. The point is, where's the proof?"

"If one of the wisest wizards in the world is siding with a student over the Minister of Magic, that's saying something. So, Zacharias, there's your proof. Now why don't you shut up, and let her finish?" I snapped.

"Perhaps you could tell us more about how Diggory got killed," He sneered. I jumped up, ready to lunge at him, but Fred and George pulled me back down.

"We're not here to talk about Cedric, so if that's what you're here for, you might as well clear out now," Harry told everyone. He then leaned over, and whispered something to Hermione.

"Is it true you can produce a Patronus Charm?" Luna asked in a dreamy voice, instantly breaking the tension.

"Yes," Hermione answered. "I've seen it."

"Blimey, Harry, I didn't know you could do that!" Dean exclaimed from beside Neville.

"A-And he killed a Basilisk. W-With the sword in Dumbledore's office," Neville stuttered.

"It's true," Ginny agreed.

"And he fought about a hundred Dementors at once," Ron added, grinning.

"Last year, he really did fight off You-Know-Who in the flesh. So did Violet," Hermione said.

"Look...it all sounds great when you say it like that. But, the truth is, most of it was just luck. I didn't know what I was doing half the time, I nearly almost had help. Violet was there last year with Voldemort and all--"

"Yeah, busy getting stabbed in gut while you did all the work," I butted in. "He's just being modest."

"No, Violet, I'm not. Facing this stuff in real life is not like in school. In school, if you make a mistake, you can try again tomorrow. But, out there, when you're a second away from being murdered, or watching a friend die right before your eyes. You don't know what that's like," He slowly sat down, and looked into his lap. Tears stung in my eyes, but I blinked them back. Fred grabbed my hand, and held it in his lap, giving me a gentle look.

"You're right, Harry, we don't," Hermione finally said, while sitting beside him. "That's why we need your help. If we're going to have any chance of beating...V-Voldemort..."

"He's really back," A young boy said quietly, looking at me. I nodded, giving him a small smile, while wiping a tear from my cheek.

>>>

Once everyone signed up to be in the organization, which Neville cleverly named 'Dumbledore's Army', we headed back to the castle together. 

"Right, first we need to find a place to meet where Umbridge won't find us," Harry told us.

"The Shrieking Shack," Ginny suggested.

"That's too small."

"Forbidden Forest?" I asked.

"Not bloody likely!" Ron exclaimed.

"Suck it up, princess."

"Yeah, Ron!" Fred and George agreed, while laughing.

"Harry, what happens if Umbridge does find out?" Ginny questioned.

"Who cares?" I snorted.

"Yeah. I mean, it's sort of fun, isn't it? Breaking the rules," Hermione agreed excitedly.

"Who are you, and what have you done with Hermione Granger?" Ron joked, making us all laugh.

"Anyway, at least we know one positive thing that came from today," She chimed, grinning.

"What's that?" Harry asked.

"Cho couldn't take her eyes off you, could she?"

Harry grinned, his cheeks turning pink. I only looked down at the ground, feeling my heart break all over again. He'd never like me the way I liked him. I guess I was just going to have to get used to it...