four || vicki donovan

cecilia forbes

I tapped my finger against my mug as I sat in The Grill across from Caroline. I had just arrived, telling Bonnie she could go home and that I would take care of Caroline in her drunken state.

But only a little less than an hour before that, Vicki Donovan was found on the verge of death in the woods. As far as everyone knew, it was an animal attack.

I, however, knew the difference between an animal attack and a vampire attack.

What I didn't know, was how much Damon Salvatore changed since I last saw him.

earlier that night

My fist pounded against the front door of the Salvatore household until Stefan pulled it open, "Tell me it wasn't you. Tell me you didn't do that to Vicki."

Much to my relief, he shook his head, "But I think I know who it was."

"What? Who?" I asked. I had millions of more questions on the topic, but I decided to stick to the simple ones.

Stefan had his uncle invite me in before he led me to his living room.

"I don't think we're the only ones who came back to Mystic Falls." Stefan said without getting into detail as he paced back and forth.

"Care to be any more cryptic? Get to the point." I said in annoyance.

"Damon. I think he's back too." Stefan elaborated.

"Damon? Why would he do something like this?" I asked. The Damon I remembered would never do anything like this.

"Damon and I have had our fair share of ups and downs in these past years as vampires. And I'd say Damon's currently at one of his lower points." Stefan explained.

I shook my head, "I can't imagine him doing something like this."

"You don't have to imagine it. You get the pleasure of living it." Stefan stated, sarcasm evident in his voice.

End

"Are you sober yet?" I questioned, trying to take my mind off of the once sweet Salvatore.

Caroline exhaled and looked up at me, trying to adjust her eyes to the light. "Nope," she decided, closing her eyes again.

"Caroline," I whined, "I have to get you home. Hell, I have to get me home."

"Why didn't he go for me?" Caroline asked out of the blue. I knew exactly who she was talking about and I internally sighed. It seemed like Stefan has been the topic of the day.

"You know, how come the guys that I want, never want me?" Caroline asked and I shifted in my seat uncomfortably.

Caroline took my silence as a signal to go on, "I'm inappropriate. I always say the wrong thing." Caroline shook her head, closing her eyes in frustration, "And... Elena always says the right thing. She doesn't even try! And he just picks her. And she's always the one that everyone picks, for everything!"