Prologue: I

I read the diary entry again and again. Trying, yet failing to sink the information in my brain.

Just three days ago my Mom passed away. Her death was slow, mostly painful, and I was not so young that I didn't understand that she was gone, and she was never coming back. I was twelve.

Our relationship was not the best, they were strained due to my act when we escaped that day.

My Mom, until the end she couldn't even speak to me, and she never said good-bye.

The word '"never" held the weight of forever. I forever lost my Mom's (non-existent) last words.

The last time we talked, she asked for the Aria (an Italian opera song) that I usually sang for her. I refused out of bitterness.

The next day she collapsed, I never anticipated it and I never knew she was sick.

I regretted it. I regretted not singing to her. I regretted not talking more with her. I regretted letting her avoid me most of the time.

But I couldn't think about that. My basic survival conditioning was to keep my mind as blank as possible. Eat, sleep, work, sort her things, repeat.

I still remembered the Japanese man and Italian woman from when I was little, my Grandpa and Grandma.

After losing contact with each other years ago, Grandma passed not long after, Grandpa told me sadly.

And I knew he was grieving, before he married Grandma, his first wife died giving birth to their first daughter. To think he would lose his loved one the second time.

He offered me his home on Mom's funeral since the other relatives didn't want to take me in (I noticed. I know.) with my aunt as an exception, but she lived in one the same town with Grandpa so it's mute point either way.

When I was packing to live with him in Japan, Namimori, I had just shoved everything inside the boxes.

Now that I arrived, I opened the boxes to sort Mom's things and mine, and mid-way through came across this leather-bound book, her diary.

Mom's last words. Huh, not so "never" and "forever" then.

Apparently my biological Dad was supposed to be alive. And yes, I had rechecked the exact words she wrote specifically for me on the last entry.

I clutched the diary in my hands, feeling more than a little blindsided and shocked that my Father wasn't my real parent.

Did Mom keep it a secret from Father? Why? I was utterly confused. My name wasn't even my name anymore.

I sighed, my Mom sure kept a lot of secrets, I couldn't even tell if there's more or not.

To part with my name was impossible for now, I was unwilling to change it. Sakurano Inori had been my identity for so long.

I put that thought aside.

I traced the word "Dad" with my fingertips, I was wary, doubtful, sad, angry and..... hopeful.

My mind was a mess. I didn't know what I was angry at, I didn't know what I hoped of.

But, it wouldn't hurt to find my Dad.