Chapter One: The Time Is Now

Hazel, a young woman of just sixteen, was in the stable tending her horses when she heard the news that changed her life forever. As a girl who was first in line to marry the son of the king, she was one of the most beautiful women in the city. She had sun-kissed skin due to her time spent enjoying the beauty of the outdoors, straight blond hair that had grown to the middle of her back, and pale blue eyes that seemed to hold the secrets of the world. She had eyes that retrieved the curiosity embedded in the most guarded of hearts, yet the most guarded of hearts was her's. She grew up living just outside the castle walls, but she knew everything that went on within them.. Her father was a great friend of the royal family. This meant she had attended countless balls, banquets, and meetings within the castle. During early childhood, she spent her days playing in the garden with the son of the king and the Queen, Prince Alexander. He was a typical boy. He spent his time playing in the dirt and throwing rocks at Hazel, the girl who was always smashing berries to paint on the rocks. Despite their differences, they were great friends who cared for each other through the lengths of their childhood and teen years.
At the young age of twelve, Hazel was permitted to attend her first meeting of royal affairs with her father, the closet and most trusted confidant of the king. The king admired her calmness, maturity, and serious attitude toward making the world a better place through government. Little did she know, in two short years later, her voice would be the most prominent in those meetings.
"Hazel, meet me quickly in the courtyard. It's matters of the king, make haste," Jacob, her father, urged.
Deep inside her weary heart, Hazel knew what had happened. Harold, king of Alagaesia, had been outside the country's boarders for less than three months before tragedy struck. He had been attempting to form alliances with the countries who shared boarders with his land. Harold had started a wonderful movement. Religious persecution was slowly ending, alliances were being formed with people of all cultures, and the people of Alagaesia were finding the freedom that they deserved. All surrounding countries agreed with his movement but one; Luthivira.
Luthivira remained stuck in their ways. Their people kept a reputation of Christianity. More specifically, they were Catholic. That was the only reputation they were allowed to have. The king of Luthivira, Javar, was offended by the speeches King Harold was giving at the boarder markings between the countries. Harold spoke about tolerance, freedom of speech, and protection from religious persecution. Just as Helen, the queen of Alagaesia had warned, Javar sent forth men for the assassination of King Harold. They had succeeded.
"What's happened? Tell me. You mustn't hesitate. I have the strength of many men. Spit out your news, Father!" Hazel impatiently urged.
"The king, Harold.... Javar's assassination plans have succeeded. The king is dead. Darling... I'm so sorry..." Jacob weeped.
"Father, what are we to do? Prince Alexander will send for me soon. It's time," admitted Hazel.
     And it was true.  Hazel was to be the wife of Alexander, and the sixteen year-old queen of Alagaesia.  Time was short.  Less than three hours after the news reached the estate of Jacob, Prince Alexander and a few selected men came by horse for the hand of Hazel.  It was rushed, it was chaotic, and before Hazel knew what was happening, Jacob pulled his daughter aside and whispered,
     "Hazel. Never compromise who you are.  Never take no for an answer.  Never stop fighting for what you know is right.  Give light to the deceased king's movement.  Never give up.  Make him proud."
     "Jacob, there's no time for speeches now.  We will send for you to join us in committee.  Your word is of value to the ceremony of my father.  Hazel, be my bride.  Stand by my side and rule our country with your hand in mine. I have cared for you for more than a decade.  We must make haste.  What say you?" Alex prodded.
     "Of course.  I have spent my life preparing for this day.  We will rule justly and in the name of the deceased King Harold.  I surrender myself to the burdens of the kingdom.  I pray I serve my people well," Hazel proudly declared.

     And then they were off to make preparations for the ceremony of the king, and to make preparations for a wedding. Hazel would be married before her seventeenth birthday.  The short journey to the castle was quick, precise, and guarded.  Alexander's knights had their swords drawn and ready to strike anyone who could potentially cause harm to the future king and Queen.  Every aspect of life was serious now.  Hazel's times of planting flowers in the garden, painting with the juice of berries, and brushing the mane of her horse were now over.

     After a long day of meetings, discussions, and debates, Hazel retreated to her chamber to reflect.  Her father had put forth some wonderful ideas about the ceremony of the king.  People of many religions, races, and cultures were to be invited to mourn the death of the brace and righteous king who had a dream of equality.  Harold would be more than pleased to see some of the most important people in his life gathered to discuss the most appropriate way to honor his life.  Helen, his wife, had some lovely ideas as well, but it was obvious that she was too distressed to pay much attention to the meeting.  Although their relationship had been the product of an arranged marriage, she loved her husband and his bravery to fight for what was right.  She expressed her hopes that her son, along with Hazel, would carry out Harold's wishes.

     During Hazel's time of reflection, she realized that only a few things were certain: Alex was a lovely man with whom she spent her entire childhood, she could potentially be fulfilled by being married to the eighteen year-old boy who she had called her best friend for over a decade, and when she looked into his dark brown eyes, she experienced the most intriguing feeling in her stomach, but she wasn't sure if it was a good feeling.