1: First Day in Texas

If you guys forgotten me, I'm Halai Ann, but most people call me Halai. As again, I am 14 years old and Filipino.

I just recently moved to Texas and is now adjusting to the new geographic areas around me.... Well, they look the same- I expected it to be full of deserts and cacti, but the area I live in is full of greenery, trees and flowers. Still surprised though. Now, back to the story, shall we?

~
05/09/17 10:38 P.M

It was nighttime when we arrived at the new house. The front lights and lamps weren't even on and my parents couldn't even have the key to the gate of the entrance way. Great.

From what I saw out the moving van window, was the big two story house painted of nice white and a black roof. I smirked happily, finally getting a house where I can have a staircase balcony and look down on the people who come in.

Through the tall black patterned gate fence, I saw a nice front yard that seemed very wide enough for me to exercise. How lovely~!

For the night, we decided to go ahead and just go to a hotel for us to stay in until my parents try to find the key through the everlasting bag of my mother's.

I was writing in my journal entry that night, scribing down about everything of what I would want to do here in Texas. However, whispering them out loud was a thing as well. Opening a bag of coffee candy, I opened a wrapper and popped a few into my mouth.

" 'Make some friends..' "

" 'Make my room very pretty and cute.'"

" ' Try Texas chili for the first time.. ' "

" ' Buy some new clothes at the mall.. ' "

" ' Pray that Nanay* and Tatay* will find the gate key to the fence of the house. ' "

I let out a sigh, popping another candy into my mouth. I laid my head backwards against the chair, meeting my mom's face.

" Writing in your journal again, aren't you, Halai? "

Continuing my sighing, I sat back straight up and turned around to face my mother. " Yes, yes, I am. "
~
Meet my mother, Marie Mendoza. She had me at 31 years old and is currently 45. She looks a bit younger for her age, but she is still a 45 year old.

She was the one who decided we would move actually. My dad's work here is actually a few streets away, and with the fact that she had a decision to either go to Seattle or go here in Fort Worth to work here, she decided to go here.

My mom works as a hotel manager, that frequently moves to other places and takes " vacations "a lot to do her work, contributing to give this family's wealth with my father. Well, you could pretty much say we get discounts each time we have summer break vacations.
~
" I am guessing you are still mad about the move...? " My mother walked away and headed towards the hotel bed, where all the objects from her bag were spread and piled up. Credit cards, makeup, cash, mints; you name it, there's a ton of lady necessities you can guess and there's a 89% of being in there.

" Half and half. You just told me a day before we even packed up. " I tapped my pencil against the desk and closed my journal. I grabbed a few other pieces another coffee candy and continued to eat them. " But, since we actually got a nice house, I'll forgive you and dad. "

My mother looked a bit concerned. " We didn't just come here for the house, Halai Ann. We came here so you can let off some stress from Oklahoma... and for you to be happy until- "

" -Until I die. "

I heard the empty lipstick bottle clack silently when my mom turned back to me. I was running my black hair through my hand, not even giving a small hint of me being sad or mad about me slowly dying.

" Halai- "

" It's alright mom... It's not a big deal anyways. People eventually die, and God has already known that his creations will have to return to sleep. You know this as well. " I turned back to the desk and reopened my journal. "And by the way, where is dad...? "

My mother was silent for a few moments. Maybe I was too non-emotional with my tone and words..? I closed my eyes and popped another candy.

" He's in the business center in the lobby. Why do you ask...? Do you need him..? "

I shook my head, then twirling the mechanical pencil between my fingers before writing some more things to do while I was in Texas. " Just wondering, since we should be eating some Adobo* right now. It's past dinnertime, right?"

Silently, I continued writing down my last ideas. Still taking in some of the candies.

" 'Go to a school where I can try to become popular.' "

" 'Work on some artworks.' "

And finally,

" 'Fall in love.'"

How funny. Fall in love...? I flipped my mechanical pencil to the eraser tip, planning to remove the final idea. But, who knows, maybe I will fall in love.

I flipped the pencil back to the writing side, closed my journal and placed it back into my backpack. Then, I headed towards the other hotel bed, flopping down on the sheets.

" I'm going to sleep. "

" Anak, you ate 16 coffee candies. I don't think you will be going to sleep. "

" Hahahahah- "

" I'm not joking, Halai. You literally did eat a lot of coffee candies. "

I looked at the desk, seeing the black wrappers of the candy being scattered. I could see by the corner of my eye my mom getting mad.

I turned my head around and pulled the sheets from underneath me, covering myself with it. Closing my eyes, trying to force myself to sleep.

Darn, I wish I ate more coffee candy back then.

*Nanay- meaning " Mother " in Tagalog

*Tatay- meaning " Father " in Tagalog

*Adobo- a popular Filipino dish that can either be pork or chicken cooked with some seasoning and sauce. Most preferred to be eaten with white rice.

-----
A/N:
Sincerity is here again! ^^ Well, I'm not sure about how Adobo is for its definition, since all the adobo I ever tried is either chicken or pork... and I don't know what can be considered ' seasoning ' qvq. Anyways, I made this chapter more longer and added some humor with Halai and coffee candy haha~
Don't worry, some actual weird and fun things will be happening in 2-3 chapters. I won't tell you what will be happening right now, but it definitely involves her and meeting more people ;)