One

MAINE

The bell rings signifying a customer entering the cafe. I turn to look at the door and was not surprised to see a very familiar face walking towards the counter. He said something at our barista who turned to look at me.

I somehow knew that this was coming but it still surprised me that he'll ask for me. Well not after what happened a few weeks ago. I smiled at my staff and gesture for one more minute. He relayed the message and advised the person to take a seat first.

My heart was pounding at my chest. I don't know what to expect but I knew this was coming. I just wasn't prepared that it'll be this soon. Kaya mo yan Nicomaine.

I advised one of the staff to brew a coffee for two. One black and one Cafe Latte. Favourite nya kasi yun eh.

I meekly made my way to the farthest end of the cafeteria. The side where guest would unlikely be seated. Of course he chose this spot. This must be something urgent otherwise he wouldn't be here.

He must've sensed my presence because he turned around and stood up. He smiled at me and I swear my heart felt like it forgot to beat for a few seconds. It was the coldest smile I have ever seen. The kind of smile that can freeze anything in an instant.

"This is new."

"Let's not beat around the bush. Why are you back here?"

I was taken aback. The coldness in his voice sent our splinters of ice throughout my entire being.

I brushed the uneasy feeling and settled in the seat in front of him. He took a sit too.

"In case you haven't noticed, I own this cafe. I think it's only right that I am here. How about you? Don't tell me you came all the way here just to ask me that? I assume -"

He suddenly pulled my hand with such brute force it immediately created red marks around my wrist.

"I don't have time for your smart mouth Nicomaine. Why. are. You. back?"

Snatching my hand back, I nursed my wrist and looked at him fiercely. "I don't have to explain myself to you."

His eyes darken and a grin edged on his lips. He looked at me, his gaze burning with such intensity that had this been any other day I would've back down. But not today hon. Not today.

"Oh baby between you and I, you know you owe me one."

I was momentarily at a loss for words and as I swallow the lump that somehow found it's way down my throat, my mind drifted back to that night.

***

"RJ ayoko na!"

"Maine! What are you saying? Mahal... ayusin natin to! Wag naman ganyan please?"

He walked closer, hugging me from behind. Here we are, fighting over something that the two of us knew wasn't even worth the curses and heated arguments but here we are again.

I tried to break free but he only tighten his hold on me. I shut my eyes tight, thinking that this will all disappear if I refuse to see the world through my tired, red, swollen eyes.

It has been months and weeks of endless fighting. Shots fired at each other. Curses thrown from both directions and the pain just kept coming and coming. And we both knew this is the end. We have to end this.

We have to stop but neither of us wanted to break free.

None of us, until tonight.