Past and Present Death

Kalin's wry smile was concern enough for Rose as she entered the throne room. She had cleaned up a bit after her travels, but was still in the ridding clothes she wore under her armor.

"My Queen" greeted Kalin's as she bent into a bow.

"Kalin" returned Rose, "what brings you all the way from Aurora? I didn't receive word that you had landed in Albion".

Kalin wore her usual tan and cream harem pants that connected like a jumpsuit to a strapless top. Adorning over it in layers, were exotic fabrics with vibrant colors and designs that wrapped around her waist accentuating her curves. Swirling around her arms, chest, and bald head are the blue tattoos that were custom for a person of her status and position in Aurora.

"There was no time to send word" Kalin's voice was grave, "there is a matter that in the utmost importance in which we need to discuss, my Queen. But not here...where there may be ears listening".

Rose frowned concerned and confused, as she set her jacket on the throne's arm rest. Within moments a servant appeared and whisked the dusty and travel worn jacket away.

Rose cocked an eyebrow, "I see your point. Let us talk in my study".

Kalin hesitated, but nodded following Rose out of the throne room. As they walked, it felt as though every eye was on them, watching and observing, and Rose scanned every face in suspicion.

Kalin's hands were clasped tightly in front of her as she waited by the desk for the Queen to close and lock the two large mahogany doors to her study.

"We're alone. Kalin what is all this about? Has something happened in Aurora?" inquired the Queen sternly.

"Something grave has happened, my Queen" answer Kalin with a woeful shake of her head, "I fear Aurora is once again threatened by the Crawler".

The Queen froze her eyes wide and her lips parted in astonishment.

"The crawler is dead. I drove a sword through him myself" there was a note of desperation in Roses voice that even she could hear.

"I remember. I was fighting in that war too if you recall, my Queen. But what I say is not lies nor speculation. The shadows once again crawl and pray upon my people" Kalin's hand was pressed firmly down onto the desk and her eyes were full of urgency.

Rose stared into those serious light blue eyes that she had trusted the first moment she first saw them.

Rose closed her eyes, letting the news wash over her in a familiar wave of fear and eminent death.

"I believe you of course. How could I not, old friend" said Rose in a voice so soft it was barely audible.

Kalin was one of the few that knew the true terror of the crawler and its children. Knew what lurked in the dark caverns and lost cities below Aurora. Knew the distrust of winged statues and their watching eyes. Of the dark whispers in your head that seeped in like the inky liquid that flowed upward consuming all in it's path. Only Kalin had lived it like she had.

"I...I don't want to step foot in the darkness again, but we must seek it out" her hand balled into a fist.

Kalin placed a hand over her heart and inclined her head, "where ever my queen goes, I shall follow".

------------------------------------------------------

Rose descended the wet stone stairs as she made her way to the dungeons. Moisture coated the unpleasantly slimy walls. The layered skirt to her official royal attire blocking the cold draft.