ii

The air particles were infected by the smoke which had escaped from several lip couples. A scent of alcohol married the other, displeasing foreign nostrils as the new odor caused itching.

However, to the ones who inhabited the bar, that scent was the meaning of home. Whenever they picked up the specific odor, they felt at peace.

"Mikoto-San!"

Yata's voice echoed through the bar as his orbs witnessed the proud king step in. The other gang members greeted him the same way.

"Mikoto feels a lil' tired. We've had a tough fight out.", Kusanagi informed the troop as the king left to the second stage of the bar.

"What happened?", Tatara stated, a look of worry placing itself on his face.
When the sun of the clan seemed this concerned, it had to be bad.

"We went up against the Black Clan."

Almost instantly, Yata retorted.

"Huh?! Are you crazy?! That clan isn't any kind of clan! If Mikoto wasn't that strong, he-..!"

Misaki silenced himself, when he noticed the look Anna gave him.
Everybody knew that. Everybody was aware of their King's weakening state.
Why did he do all of that for them?

Kusanagi broke the heavy silence.

"We wiped out three of themー the only ones that were into our territory. It took a little energy out of us. That's it."

Kusanagi gave a look to Anna. He knew that she was aware it was way more than just a little energy.
It was crystal clear, even to a blind person. She had the expression of an unexplainable feeling.
She ran upstairs.

Nothing was heard but her shoes knocking against the floor.

Kusanagi turned around to face the wall with the drinks, lighting the tip of his cigarette with a flick of his finger.
The silence crushed the backs of everybody.

"Mikoto."
The child gently spoke up as she opened the door to his room.
Her ruby orbs widened gently at the sight of the king's flame.

His aura was heavier than usual. It sprung to the roof and it felt hostile, even to the girl who was incredibly close to him. The red was polluted, it held a color close to crimson.

"Mikoto,"

She spoke again, making a slow step into the room. She stopped as the king held his hand out, indicating her to not approach.

"Mikoto,"

She continued to march forward against the king's orders.

"Stop, Anna."

"No, Mikoto,"

His sorrowful eyes looked over at the child as he felt his hand being grasped by two smaller ones.

"Your flame doesn't hurt me. It doesn't hurt usー HOMRA.
Even if it changes color or shape, it will always hold the same purpose.
Your flame protects us. Your beautiful red protects us forever."

She always said such words to him. He was happy she believed his flame was existing for this purpose.
Yet it consumed him. The flame couldn't protect the one who lit it, & he accepted it. All that mattered is that HOMRA was safe, that his family was safe.

a few hours later

"You're up, Mikoto?"

"Yeah. Where's everybody?"

"They went to eat outside all together."