Chapter Ten

Gabriella's POV

  I was getting divorced. Getting divorced to one half of my love story. I couldn't lose Troy. I couldn't. I walked home with my head down, wondering why Sharpay had to do this to us. I got home and walked inside, then gasped to see Ryan there with a bouquet of flowers. The smile that rested on his face faded as he saw the expression on my face. Ryan knew about Troy. He never even seemed to mind. Which, quite frankly, was pretty odd. I guessed he was so undervalued by his sister that he was happy he found someone who loved him back. And showed it. He stared at me and looked around. "Where's Troy? I mean, I know he isn't here. That's why I stayed. But... Where is he?"

  My lip quivered. "Oh, Gabriella... Did he...?"

  I nodded and my head fell into his shoulder. I started to sob. He just stayed there, comforting me, letting me cry on his shoulder.

  "How did he find out?"

  "Sharpay," I managed to get out through sobs. "She had videos. Apparently we weren't alone."

  Ryan had a mixture of disgusted and pure anger stirring in his eyes. He shook his head. "No." He let go of me. He tried to stay calm. "Gabs, I'll be back."

  I nodded and continued to cry. Jack was at daycare for another two hours.

  Ryan came back with anger in his eyes. "She went too far that time."

  He slammed the door shut behind him and ran back over to me and let me back into his arms.

  "Look, Gabriella," he said softly, lifting my chin up to look into his eyes. "I love you so much. I know that I am not your only one, but somehow it doesn't bother me like it bothers pretty much everyone else. But hey, you still have me. And I'll never leave your side, no matter what Sharpay does or says."

  I smiled a little and sniffled. "Thanks," I said softly. "I love you."

  "I love you more," he said with a smile and kissed my head.

  "But Ryan..." I looked up at him.

  "Yeah?" His smile faded as he saw the worry in my eyes.

  I took a deep breath. "Jack isn't Troy's kid. He's yours."

  Ryan stared at me for a second. There was silence and I didn't know what he was going to say.

Ryan's POV

  Jack isn't Troy's kid. He's yours. Those words kept replaying in my head. I looked up the stairs into Jack's room, then back at Gabriella, her eyes full of hope. I sighed. I couldn't say anything. "Oh," was the only word I could muster. I swallowed hard. I nodded then, and didnt know what to say. "Jack is my child. He's my... My child?" She nodded. I hugged her. She hugged me back and it wasn't long before her soft lips were connected with mine. The sound of the door opening stopped us. For some reason it took me awhile for my eyes to adjust but then I saw Troy standing there, with more hurt in his eyes than I'd ever seen in them. He turned to Gabriella, trying to hide his sadness, but there was so much there that it was impossible. He wasn't angry like Gabriella had made it seem before. Just hurt. He spoke with a shaky voice.

  "I came back because I thought about everything fake Sharpay had done in the past," he said, a tear dropping from his eye and flowing down his cheek. "I thought... that.... maybe, somehow, she used something... To make it look like something else..." He sniffled, unable to contain his tears any longer. Out they came, flowing down his cheeks. "I guess... I guess I should go..." he said softly, starting to sob. He walked out of the house and shut the door. I stared as he left, instantly feeling bad. Gabriella said nothing.

Troy's POV

  I had no energy left in me to be mad. There was no anger left in me. There was just ache and pain in my heart. But nothing hurt me more than what I heard as I was walking out of my house.

  "Ryan," I heard Gabriella say, "it's okay. I never loved him more than I love you. I truly believe that you are my true love."

  I looked back at the house with more hurt in my heart and in my eyes than ever. I know that Gabriella knew I heard it as soon as I looked back. I knew that she saw just as much pain as there was. But then she turned away and fully closed the door, walking away with Ryan. I ran as fast as I could to my mom's house, never feeling as hurt as I did at that moment.