Arospec Awareness Week: Guest Posts.

To round off Arospec Awareness Week 2017, I thought it would be a good idea to get in some guest writers to share their experiences of being on the aromantic spectrum.

Guest Writer #1 ~ anonymous:

{Anon decided to follow these prompts they found on tumblr, and was dedicated enough to send us something each day of the week!}

'Aromantic: does not experience romantic attraction. What is romantic attraction? If I have learned anything from my road to self discovery with sexual and romantic orientations, if you have to ask you probably don't experience it! Growing up I thought I experienced crushes. Shallow feelings that never grew beyond "oh, that person is cute. I like them. I hope they like me back!". No longing to hold hands or kiss or cuddle. These were all things I expected to happen TO me someday. Not something I would be an active part in. Luckily no one I liked that way ever liked me back enough to challenge my physical and emotional boundaries. Maybe I would have realized things sooner. Maybe they would have been more muddled. I understand Aesthetic attraction. I can ooh and aww over certain celebrities, follow sassy scripts of "I'd tap that" while performing a perfect z formation triple snap. I can categorize people into cute, handsome, even hot. Whether I mean it in the same way I don't know. If I ever got the chance to do anything with a favorite celebrity, I can't think beyond conversing with them like anybody else. I love fictional romance, but that is all it is. To apply it to myself or the real world just doesn't make sense. I don't believe I feel romantic attraction. I know that doesn't mean I won't someday. Just please don't use this obscure "maybe" or "someday" or "someone" to invalidate my very real feelings now. Aromantic to me has given me the knowledge that the human experience is vast and different. There are others like me out there. I don't need to go beyond my comfort zone and feelings just to conform. It has given me a platform in which I can be unapologetically myself.

~ thanks for reading, from your friendly neighborhood Aro.'

'