Chapter 1 ~ They're Back

(Y/N)'s POV

"Alexia, you take the right. Hazel, the left. And I'll take down the middle," I said. Alexia drew her ruby sword and struck it at the guards on the right. Hazel, with her turquoise blade already unsheathed, was taking the left. I spun around and drew my (F/G) sword and took out the ones in the middle. I heard Hazel sheath her sword, signaling that she finished her batch. I turned and saw Alexia punch a guard in the face, finishing off her's.

"Well that was easy enough," Alexia said walking over to me. Hazel joined us and I sheathed my sword. Suddenly, I was struck with a horrible feeling throughout my body, and I fell to the ground. Something about it was familiar, like I had the same feeling before.

"(Y/N)!" Hazel and Alexia shouted at the same time. It was almost like every bone in my body was just released from a cage. Then I remembered. They came back.

"We need to get back to Phoenix Drop, now!" I said. They nodded and we ran to the gates. We climbed up onto the wall and waited.

"(Y/N), why did we come back here?" Hazel asked.

"They're back..."

"What?" Alexia said. We all go silent in disbelief. I heard footsteps approach the gate. I looked over the wall and saw them.

Dang it! I thought we got rid of them!

Shut up Shadow Voice.

Ugh, fine.

"Where's Garroth?" I heard Hazel whisper to herself. I saw Alexia pat her on the back. I saw the tears well up in her eyes. Alexia and I gave her a hug. I looked up and saw him.

"Laurance..." I muttered. I broke away from the hug and leaned over the wall. It was him. It was really him. I saw him run into the village, and I knew where he was going: Ungrth's grave. I guess I was just staring into space because Alexia was trying to get my attention.

"(Y/N), are you ready to see him yet?" Alexia said.

"I don't think so. No yet, at least."

"I'm sure you'll be able to see him soon. I'm sure he missed you as well," Hazel said.

"Heh, it's actually only been a few minutes since he last saw me... And in that time I betrayed him..." I was fighting back the tears of remembering my past. The horrible things I had done were too much to count. I had killed too many innocent people and too many people suffered because of me.

It's been only about five years since I had met Alexia and Hazel. Before that, I was an assassin and a devoted member to the Jury of Nine. Now, I'm just trying to redeem myself. I resigned from my Jury position and now the only problem I have is the Shadow Knight inside of me.

Our little group is pretty awesome. Hazel is a member of the Jury, but doesn't follow under Zane so she can use her other form to defend us. I know it's cheesy but it's the truth. Alexia is a werewolf and has some crazy, power thing that allows her to stand in plain sight and not be seen. Then of course there's me, the Shadow Knight of the group. I mean, what's a group without one?

Anyways, I'm still getting used to Phoenix Drop looking like this. I've barely been here in the past fifteen years, which is another reason why I blame myself for the condition it's in. My job as a guard is to defend and take care of my village. What I have done, I have betrayed and abandoned it. Not a day goes by that I don't blame myself for what happened to Ungrth's grave, or anything that has happened. I still keep myself hidden, so as far as Dante knows, I was with everyone else. I feel bad, but I couldn't really face anyone I knew after I betrayed them. I went to go see Laurance. Even if I wasn't ready to see him face to face and actually speak using words, at least seeing his face just was slightly comforting. I leaped from the wall and onto a tree and went to Ungrth's grave. I saw Lord Aphmau leave, and Laurance was alone.

Laurance's POV

Once Aphmau left, I felt the presence of a Shadow Knight. I looked around and saw no one. Even in the small time I had been here, I've been thinking of (Y/N). I looked up from the ground, and saw her. I couldn't believe it, it was (Y/N), standing right in front of me. I ran towards her, but she disappeared. She was only a figment of my imagination. She betrayed me, but I still miss her. It had only been a few minutes since I saw her, but it feels like forever. This world just seems so different than how we left it.

(Y/N)'s POV

I saw him run to something that wasn't there. He's losing it. I wanted to leave him alone, so I left. Well, if people are seeing everyone again, I might as well see Dante. I waited until it was late, so nobody else would see me. I saw him on patrol. I stood a few feet behind him. Am I ready for this?

No, can we kill Aphmau now that she's back please?

Oh my Irene will you ever shut up?!

Nope!

Kill me now.

Kill Aphmau now.

Shut up!

I took a deep breath.

"Dante?..." I started. He turned to face me. His expression immediately changed when he saw me. There were so many emotions circulating in his brain. I could see it in his eyes.

"(Y/N)..." I gave a small nod.

"It's really you," he said. He ran up to hug me.

"Where were you?"

"I left the village to work for Zane..." At this point, I might as well be as honest as possible. I've lied enough already. His expression changed as I saw him reach for his katanas.

"But, I left and now I'm just trying to redeem myself." he moved his hands away from where he kept his katanas.

"I'm just happy you're back," he said with a smile. "I'll go get Laurance so you can talk. I'm sure you've been dying to see him in the past fifteen years." Shoot, that's right. He didn't know.

"Actually, I'm not ready to face him yet..." I said, hanging my head. He smiled at me reassuringly.

"I understand," he said. We talked for a little bit and I went back into the forest to find Alexia and Hazel. As I walked, I remembered everything that happened over the past fifteen years. I remember sitting in a tree during the funeral they had for them, wanting so badly not to care. The worst part was that I did. I remembered sitting alone, crying for hours, not knowing if I would stop. Just seeing everyone still alive is unbelieveable.

I missed Garroth and Laurance so much. I remember walking around aimlessly, trying to forget, but I couldn't. Then, I met Hazel. We became friends and then we met Alexia. They are the greatest friends anyone could ask for. They are strong, caring and just generally awesome. Anyways, I came to the tree where I would normally hang out in before the fifteen years. It has grown quite a bit. I climbed up into its branches and drifted off to sleep.

~~~

1211 words