Chapter 7

"How's my hair?" Ally was going completely frantic over her appearance for the party whilst I was deeply absorbed my Charles Dickens novel.

"Fine," I replied, not even bothering to lift my head because I knew she always looked so good.

"You're not even looking!" She shrieked, ripping the book out of my hands. "Now you can look at me."

Her hair was left to frizz out in a high ponytail. Her coral earrings were assorted perfectly to her coral colored tube dress and heels.

"Wow, honestly."

"Thank you." She flashed a smile and turned around to face the mirror, applying another layer of mascara.

A knock on the door startled both of us and Ally dropped the mascara on her dress, leaving a deep stain.

"Shit, who the fuck is that." She grumbled, clearly pissed at what happened.
Oliver, Mila, Nicholas and Serena all stood smiling at the door, dressed up for the party.

"Sydney!" Mila shrieked "you're wearing that for the party?" Her tone a bit of playful disgust.

"I'm not going." I replied, stretching out from my lying down position on my bed. "The whole Niall drama completely set me off."

"Are you serious? We'll be there for you." Nicholas butted in, stepping forward. He had moved back and put his arm around Mila's waist. I glanced up at her and sure enough she was smiling back at him, leaning slightly into his shoulder.

"No really, I'm not coming, but Ally will go with you guys."

"I'm craving a party, I've only been to one since school started."
Ally really was a party addict and her little number of parties this year surprised me. This was her second year in this sorority and I was surprised she hadn't been expelled from it yet. She was quite the one to mess around.

Just as one of us were about to speak, the loud speaker interrupted.
"To all you ladies that are not going to the party, the library of our sorority will be open extra hours so you can benefit of the calm and be safe from the terrors of tonight's party."

"Well that means we need to go." Ally perked up.

***

I had just finished reading Great Expectations and I was searching the library isles for something more magical, bursting with adventure but including a soft love story in between. I settled with Twilight. I heard some people say it wasn't the greatest but I was curious as to what was inside the pages. I walked through the 'M' isle for Meyer. I was running my fingers along the bookends searching for Twilight when a voice startled me from my search.

"What ya looking for?"
Niall was leaning against one of the sturdy pine bookshelves, wearing a plain white polo, kaki shorts and his usual high tops.

"I've got it I'm fine." I said, quickly picking Twilight out of the shelf.

"Hmm, Twilight, quite the love story. Third books the best." He said wearing a smug smile.

"You've read it?" I asked in disbelief.

"Possibly, along with Great Expectations, curious novel it is." He nodded, glancing back at the book that sat at one of the coffee tables.

"Yeah, sure," I scoffed
"There are many things you don't know about me." He said out of the blue. As if he were trying to pass a meaning that I did not comprehend. We stayed a few seconds in silence whilst if flipped through the pages of the novel.
Niall was the first to speak up.

"So, you coming tonight?"

"Does it look like I'm coming?" I retorted glancing down at my sweat pants and singlet.

"Stop playing smart ass with me." A smile was now playing on his lips and he seemed amused by this little dispute.

"Honestly, have you seen me at a party?"

"This is my twentieth, Sydney Jennifer Evans, no one misses out. Not even the nerds, which you fit perfectly with. I highly recommend you attend."

"What? So I can see you get drunk?"

"Just. You're fucking- never mind "
He was lost at words at what I had said and I'm sure he would much rather be searching for his virgin to sleep with. He walked away winking and I flashed him my middle finger, much to my delight.

***

I don't know where is was in Twilight. The book hadn't captivated me and I was up to some bit about a ballet class. It lacked elegance that was clearly present in my beloved classics. I was completely disconnected from the book when I heard cheers erupt from the frat house across the road, that were loud enough to stand out from the constant thumping of the music. It must be midnight and Niall must have finally turned twenty. That means the party was hopefully half way through. I decided to head back up to my dorm. I stopped at the bathroom first to shower and clean my face up. I applied yet another of those pimple creams that wouldn't help. At least I tried.

Once I was done, I grabbed my toiletry bag and made my way up to my room, sending a text to Ally, warning her about the time but not trying to sound like her mother too much.

I heard muffled moans from down the corridor, in one of the rooms surrounding mine. I hoped whoever the person was wouldn't get caught. Molly definitely wouldn't let her get away that.

My door was slightly ajar which was surprising but also creepy. I was practically sure I had locked it on my way out. Maybe Ally was back. She would never be back so soon. Maybe she was with a boy. She's more cautious, isn't she?

I shoved the door open to see two bodies, squinting from the light, attempting to look at me, but my face was hidden in the shadows. They were both in their undergarments, the female straddling whoever was underneath.

"Syd?" A small voice croaked, probably dried out from the endless kissing.

"Ally?!" I shouted in a whisper. I switched the light on, blinding all of us.

I saw a mop of messy blonde hair appear from behind Ally's shoulder, and I knew instantly who it was even before those mesmerizing blue eyes stared back at me.

"I should get going." The Irish boy said, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck. He grabbed his shirt and began putting it on.

"No I-it's fine. I'll find somewhere else to sleep. Just um, continue, um whatever. Yeah, later." I was doing random hand gestures to explain what I was trying to say without saying too much.

The two didn't seem phased about what I had to say, instead, they seemed rather eager to continue with whatever they were doing. As soon as I closed the door, I had immediately heard the bed squeaking on its hinges again.

***

I shivered once again. The library was cold on this autumn night. I tried knocking on all of the dorm rooms to find a bed to sleep in but I guess I was the only one that hadn't attended the party. Molly will probably be really pissed when she finds me in the library tomorrow morning but I didn't really have a choice. At the moment, abnormal thoughts were consuming me.
Down in the pit of my stomach, I felt betrayed and hopeless. It wasn't Ally, or Niall actually. Just the feeling that you were meant to be the one to sleep with him, and he had gone off and found another, carelessly. Without having any doubt what so ever, that his actions could be affecting me, or any other girl out there that might happen to be in the same position.

I think this is my longest chapter so far, I suck at writing long chapters :( Hope you like it :):)

~Vic xx