Chapter Eleven

After the school day was over, I finally saw the boys on the stairwell. Tommy and his friends had Bruce surrounded.

"So, was there blood and guts?" Tommy prodded, stepping closer and closer to Bruce, who looked as though he was staring into the face of death.

"Leave me alone," Bruce said, timidly. He had taken a step back and had almost stepped off the stair.

"That's not nice, Brucey. You'd think your mother-" Tommy was cut off by Bruce punching him, cutting near his mouth. A few drops of blood dropped onto the ground.

While Tommy was wiping off the blood, Bruce took off running, grabbing onto the arm of my sweater. "Come on. Alfred is waiting."

He walked slower once we got outside, trying to play off what had just happened. He was hiding his knuckles behind his other hand.

"Why are you in such a hurry, Master Bruce?" Alfred asked, crossing his arms in front of him.

"Someone was disrespecting my mother. I punched him and-"

Alfred interrupted Bruce. "I hope you knocked his bloody teeth out of his head."

Bruce shook his head dismally. "I didn't hurt him. I tried but it wasn't effective." After a long pause, He spoke again. "Alfred, can you teach me how to fight?"

Alfred smiled and helped Bruce into the limo. "Of course, Master Bruce. I'd be delighted."

I got into the car after Bruce. Alfred closed the door and we started to drive off.

Looking back, I saw Tommy and his boys standing on the stairs, glaring at us. Bruce must've noticed me tense up because he put his arm around my shoulders, making all of my worries melt away.