Chapter 2

~Harry POV~

In class everyone separate like water and oil. Colors on one side of the room and whites on the other side. It was one of the most silent classes I've ever been in. This was in every class for the rest of the day. My mother always taught me negros are people too, not that I ever listened. I've always heard stories about negros. I've heard they have tails, that they turn into wolves at night and that they aren't really humans but aliens. But my mother taught me that is all crap.

Going through the halls was a task, everyone rushed to their lockers. A few people's lockers were placed next to blacks and they looked at them like a disease. Like they were going to put venom in their blood. I just don't understand why things are the way they are. A black guy dropped his books next to me. I crouched and began to help him and he avoided eye contact.

"Let me help you." I asked and tried to help him but he quickly got his books and ran down the hall. Terrified little thing, probably thought I was gonna hurt him. I looked at the school clock and realized it was lunch. At lunch my friends Louis, Liam, Zayn and Niall sat with me. We had on the radio listening to music.

"Now we're gonna play the new hit "My Boy Lollipop.". My boy lollipop, you make my heart go giddy up, you are as sweet as candy, you're my sugar dandy. Woah oh my boy lollipop.

"So, what do you think about the niggers here?" Niall asked. I looked at Niall in disgust.

"You know negros don't like you calling them niggers." I corrected him eating my sandwich.

"Well, it's not like they can hear us." Niall shrugged. I shook my head.

"I didn't think they'd let it happen." Liam said looking at the side of the lunch room the blacks were sitting. "I've never seen so many black people in my life."

"The first time I saw a blackie was when I went to Jamaica on vacation." Louis stated. "The guy couldn't even speak English."

"You think their all like that?" Zayn asked.

"Who you askin' you got color in you." Louis stated snarling at Zayn.

"Hey, I'm not black. I'm middle eastern." Zayn corrected him.

"You're colored." Louis corrected Zayn. Zayn stood up with a scowl.

"Hey, it doesn't matter who's colored and who's not. We're all friends here, right?" Liam said trying to calm the men down. Zayn jabbed his chair out and sat down again.

"So anyone gonna talk to them?" Niall said changing the subject. We all looked at the table, no one seemed to be volunteering.

"Louis and I talked to two of them this morning." I said. "They helped me, I walked into a stop sign." I said with a laugh.

"Are you sure they didn't push you?" Niall asked nervously. "I heard their known for robbin'."

"No, I watched the idiot do it. I don't know what was such a big distraction." Louis shook his head. "I know this whole black thing is new but golly, was that needed?"

"No I just- you know what never mind. I'll talk to a black person. They don't seem that bad." I shrug eating my sandwich.

"You're brave." Louis said nudging me and I smile.

"I don't know, I wouldn't say brave. I'm just curious." I smile and look over at Susie who is laughing with her friends. She happens to accidently make eye contact and looks down at her food, her smiling leaving. I don't want to make that beautiful smile of her's leave.

-

We stand by the school steps and I see Riley and Susie walking down the steps with another girl. I go up to them and they all look away and hold their books tightly.