Chapter 6

Chris landed just outside the ruins. I brushed myself off and turned to go inside. As I opened the door, a black-cloaked figure darted out, shoving me backwards. I stumbled back, falling to the ground. Kai bolts out the door, moving after her; I noticed that it was Follower.

“After her!” Kai shouted.

“Let her be,” Chris said in a dark voice, grabbing Kai’s collar to stop him. ‘That faceless bastard can’t do anything without her. She might as well stay gone.” Chris turned to me. “Lina…you and Tao need to go.”

“Why?” I asked. Tao moved forward to stand beside me.

Chris looked from Chaser to the place where Follower had run. Instead of answering my question, he said to Tao, “You know what to do.”

Tao nodded and tugged my elbow gently. “Let’s go. It won’t take much time. Chris told you what my power was, didn’t he?”

“Yes. Time control. Very cool.”

Tao bit his lip. “In order for me to take both of us back, I need to…hold you…close. Is that okay with you?”

I nodded. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me into his chest; it was the same position Chris used to hold me when he flew. I asked, “How does this work?”

“Close your eyes,” Tao said. “You’ll start to hear a hum. Focus only on that hum.” He was right; I did exactly as he said. His voice was low in my ear, “Okay…we’ll be going backwards…”

“You know as well as I that he wouldn’t say anything to us!” Another voice said.

My eyes snapped open. Tao stepped back and pulled me into the shadows, raising his finger to his lips. He wanted me to be quiet. I silently poke my head around the corner.

Follower smirked. “It seems as if he already did; you just didn’t like what you heard. And you never know unless you ask.”

My eyes widen. This is incredibly strange…

Chris took a step forward. “That’s enough!” He snapped. He turns to Tao. “You talk to her,” he mumbled. “I’m taking Lina away before she explodes.” Chris turned to…another me…and pulled…me…towards him. He marched towards us. I ducked out of sight as he walked past. A moment later, I heard him explode into the sky.

Another Tao turned to Follower. “That was very cruel,” he said, his dark eyes narrow. “Chaser’s words have a greater effect than you think, Follower.”

She was silent. After a moment, she laughed to herself. I tilted my head. Why is she..? Tao yanked my arm, tugging me backwards and pulling his hand over my mouth. I wriggled to try and break free, but Kai and the rest of the Half Twelve trudge past us.

“If you dot mind, we would like to ask a few things,” Kai says.

Tao nods. “I will watch Chaser with the others.” He walks away, heading towards the ruins. Follower watches him leave and turns to the Half Twelve.

“WHat is your name?” Kai asks. His voice is flat and stoic.

Follower tilts her head. “Teleportation,” she says quietly. She looks at Suho next. “Water.” She continued to go down the line and name each member’s powers.

I look over at Tao. “Are you seeing this?” I whisper quietly. He nods.

Suho turns to Kai. “Go get Lina and Chris! Take her,” he points to Follower, “back to Chaser. He found someone who can read the book.”