Sour

Image by http://lilithabsinthe.deviantart.com/

__

"Casey, let's play," Uncle John said from behind me. "Casey. Casey." 

I shook awake, feeling the sudden other body pressed against my back.

"Are you okay?" He asked, sounding annoyed. By the tone of voice, I realized it was Hedwig. Not wanting to scare him away, I tried to ease into the bed and relax. I was increasingly aware of how close he was, cradling me from behind. 

"Yeah, just, bad dream," I mumbled. 

"I have bad dreams sometimes," he shrugged. With such monsters inside you, I bet.

"Yeah?" I saw the door was open. Wide open, even. 

"Yeah. But sometimes I dream of water slides. I like water slides. Have you been on a water slide?" he asked. Hedwig was cheerful.

 "No, I haven't."

"Why not?"

"There's never been an occasion," I said. 

"Hmm. I wanna go for my birthday." Maybe, if I pushed him off, I could run out of the room, but I wasn't sure how to lock him inside. 

"When is your birthday?" I asked. Keep him distracted.

"It's on May 1st," he said happily. "And I want to go to a water park."

"We could go," I suggested.

"Mmm, I don't know if you'll be around. Mr. Dennis still hasn't decided what to do with you." I wanted to sit up, look him in the eye, see what Hedwig means, but he was revealing to me now; I didn't want to ruin this moment.

"Has he told you much?" I asked. I felt my eyes tearing up in the slightest.

"No, Mr. Dennis doesn't talk to me. It's Ms. Patricia who told me he doesn't want to give you to the Beast. Ms. Patricia doesn't like that," he explained. I already knew this. It became very quiet. "Have you been to Virginia?" he inquired. 

"What?" my voice cracked.

"Have you been to Virginia?" Hedwig repeated.

"Um, no. Why?" I swallowed loudly.

"I don't know. I could feel Mr. Dennis thinking about something like that a lot. Something about virginia," he muttered. I consciously chose to ignore this and we stopped speaking. Hedwig felt warm on my backside; it was always so cold around here. I was not used to his body invoking different personalities. A small part of me believed it was still just Dennis, toying with me. Maybe I should ask of the Claire and Marcia.

"Are you sleeping?" he peeped.

"No," I mumbled, closing my eyes.

"Me neither. Do you think I'm weird?" he asked.

"No."

"Okay, cause a lot of people like to make fun of me," he said quickly. He adjusted his arm, as it was draped over my waist. Now I wondered who exactly was making fun of him.

"No, I don't think you're weird, and you shouldn't listen to other people." I hoped this would be consoling to him. I could feel him giggle and he nudged his head against mine.
"I think I'm gonna go to sleep now." Hedwig let his head fall down behind mine, not tightening his grip around me, but nestling in deeper. I closed my eyes alongside him, the open door mocking me.