Acidic

Image by Aaron Coberly

___

I was tired of waking up to the same goddamn faded, wood paneling. Hedwig was gone from my bed, but yet, as I looked up, the door was open. I heard a clanking against a tiled surface, almost like heels. Sitting up, I rubbed at my face and slipped my shoes back on, for I had taken them off to sleep. Slowly, I hobbled towards the door and peered through. It was a small space, but the computer desk was empty, the next door closed. I looked left and found Him standing there, but wearing a skirt this time. I was right about the heels, and it was such an odd sight to see, I hadn't noticed myself simply standing there, motionless, until we met eyes.

"My child, I was thinking you are hungry," he, or perhaps she, said. This was Patricia. It must be. The one I had heard days ago, in the British accent, whom Hedwig spoke about. Confused, I said nothing. "What are you just standing for? Please, sit down." I sat in the same spot as before, and she came forward, lowering a sandwich.

"I'm sorry," she continued, "Dennis hasn't gone grocery shopping in a long time. This is all we have to eat."

"No, that's okay," I said quietly, raising the sandwich to my lips.

"It's ham," she smiled.

"I like ham." I took a shaky bite, feeling obligated to eat as she watched me. She glanced at the small watch on her wrist, then back at me. "It's good,"' I mumbled.

"It's not very ladylike to speak with your mouth open," Patricia warned. I swallowed quickly, nodding.

Speaking to Patricia seemed to be in an entirely different regard than how I approach Hedwig, or even Dennis. She made it very clear, just upon the way she stood; I had no power here.

"Could I eat with Claire and Marcia?" I asked in small voice. As soon as the words escaped my lips, I knew it was the wrong time to ask. She clicked with her tongue, coming closer to reach over to me.

"No no no no," she sung, caressing my cheek, "no." She did not explain anything else, and I decided I would not ask again. I took another bite. The ham felt like rubber. She turned away, walking to the sink and pouring herself a glass of water. Leaning against the counter, just as Dennis had before, she watched me, on hand on her hip. I was hungry earlier but now felt queasy. I was almost finished the sandwich when I set it down, leaning back. My stomach had shrunken quiet a bit in my time here, and I felt very full. Patricia walked over, about to take the plate.

"You're finished?"

"Yes, thank you," I said. She smiled with her lips only and took the plate to wash. She dried it, as well, setting it on the dish rack. Her skirt whirled in the air as she turned around and sat across from me.

"What do you think of my earrings?" she asked, touching the jewels hanging from her ears. I leaned in a little, nervously, and nodded.

"They're very pretty," I tried. They were a dark green colour.

"Yes, I think so, too. You see, I always found earrings to be delightful on ladies, especially such a young, pretty one like yourself." I let out a breathy laugh. "The other girls have their ears pierced, but I see yours are not." I scoffed again, flattening down my hair. "Why not?"

"I don't know, hehe," I replied, "guess I'm a little afraid of needles." She smiled back, standing up. She reached over into a drawer near the dishes and pulled out a small box. Coming back over, she laid it in front of me, opening the small chest to reveal more earrings.

"Wow," I said.

"I know. I've collected these over the years, more so in my youth." She picked out a pair with printed red roses on each. "What do you think of this one?"

"Yeah, they're nice." My throat felt wet, a coldness running over me. "Flowers."

"Yes, I do like them, too. I think these will be good for you," she said, standing up. A little confused, I watched her close the chest again and put it back.

"Oh, neither of my ears are pierced," I reminded her. She rummaged through the same drawer. "Yes, I know. There it is." Patricia suddenly smiled very wide, showing me a sewing needle. "Don't worry, I'll get them in."

The room became extremely silent and I could feel my stomach drop, as if it hit the floor. I instinctively got to my feet, moving out from the space between the chair and table.

"No no, really, it's okay," I said in a rush.

"Casey, don't worry, I know what I'm doing." I could feel the blood pumping in my ears. Stepping backwards, I almost tripped against my own foot.

"No, really, I'm okay. Do you have any of those clip-on ones? You know, the-the-" Patricia lunged forward and I knocked her hands away, entering back into my room. "The clip-on ones?"

"You know, I don't like those. These will look beautiful, I'm sure the Beast will love them. Come here," she ordered. Reaching towards me again, I slapped her away. Patricia stopped, staring, then grinning. "No no no no, Casey."

I pushed hard into her side and moved towards the door. Without even a single grunt, Patricia locked her arms around my waist and dragged me back, slamming hard on the ground.

"Get off of me!" I shouted, struggling to climb over the bed. She was on my back in a moment, pressing my chest up against the side of the bed, my knees hard on the concrete ground.

"Stop moving!" she hissed, grabbing my left hand. A pain struck through my arm and shoulder as she twisted it backwards. "I will break it." I stopped moving, beginning to cry, as she slowly sat us on the ground, her skirt rising up as she wrapped her legs around my waist. I started sobbing louder.

"This will happen one way or another. Please, don't move and it will hurt less," she said to me. I no longer resisted, biting my lip and squeezing my eyes shut. "Okay," she muttered. A small, intense pain came at my lobe, my hands going into fists. A sliding release, then another sharp pain. I groaned loudly, crying harder. "There's one," Patricia spoke to herself. A panic rose in me even stronger as she pierced the next ear, her legs gripping hard against my torso. "Okay, lemme just put the earring in." Using both hands, she clipped it together, then hugged me.

"Shh, shh," she whispered. I wanted to kick her. In the face, but a sense of hopeless washed over me. "Casey, you're bleeding. Wash yourself off, would you?" She rocked me for a few more moments, then stood up, adjusting her skirt.