Chapter 2 : A Midnight Ride

I heard my name being called from down stairs. I walked slowly towards the source for the person screaming my name and found my mum in the kitchen.

"Yeah Mum?" I asked.

"I was wondering if you wanted any help unpacking?" She asked sweetly.

"I was actually planning on unpacking tomorrow. I was just about to go get ready to see the horses" I told her. She smiled and nodded her head before saying

"Alright. Just yell if you need anything" she smiled sweetly before turning back to chopping some vegetables. I turned around and walked back into my room. I changed into some jean/jodhpurs, a checkered red, orange, yellow, green, blue, pink and purple shirt which went to my elbow and some cowboy boots. I then put my hair into a braid, leaving some of the sides out before making my way down stairs towards the kitchen where mum and dad were talking.

"I'm heading off to see the horses" I called towards them

"Wait" my dad's voice called to me. I stopped in my tracks before turning and facing him.

"Yeah?" I asked. My dad smirked at me before turning to mum and saying

"Lauren? Have you noticed it's really dark in the barn?" My dark asked. I rolled my eyes waiting for my parents to finish so I could go down and see the horses. Although mum's comment make all my thoughts stop immediately.

"I have Michael. It's almost like it's the middle of the night". My parents both turned to me, waiting to see if I clocked onto there hint. A giant grin crept onto my face as I noticed what my parents were hiding,

"Ahhhh" I screamed while laughing with joy, causing them both to chuckle. I turned on my heel and sprinted out of the house, nearly falling out on the way, and ran as fast as my legs could carry me towards the barn.

Once I reached the barn I flung the door open and sprinted towards the familiar stable. My eyes connected with the horse before me and I found myself opening the door and hugging his neck.

"Midnight" I breathed. Closing my eyes, savouring the moment. Midnight snorted which made me pull back and kiss his nose gently. Midnight nudged my shoulder and I chuckled before stroking his neck. Midnight and I were a team, we competed together, trained together and explored together. Midnight was my everything before I left. Midnight and I grew up together and he has been my best friend, although when I left I was forced to sell him. I was convinced I would never see him again, until now. Midnight is a 16.2 hand Holstein Warmblood who my parents bought for me to compete on when he was 3 and I was 12. I trained him with the help of my instructor and Midnight turned into the most perfect horse. The bond I shared with Midnight was hard to describe, it was almost like he knew what I was feeling before I did and we could read each others mind.

"Nice surprise?" My dad voice asked through the barn, I ran up to him and hugged him before thanking him a million times over.

"How did you find him?" I asked.

"I always kept in touch with his old owners. When you said you were coming back they were selling him anyways because there daughter has given up riding and they thought it was a fair deal" my dad explained. I thanked him again before making my way to the feed shed and making up the Midnight's dinner.

I sighed before stroking Midnight's face once more and making my way out of the barn and towards the house where my dinner was waiting. I entered the house and took a seat at the set table. I glanced down at the beef stew and started eating, missing my mums amazing cooking.

"So what happened while I was away?" I asked curiously, as I continued eating.

"When you left we started getting behind on the horses so we hired a new stable hand. Travis, Rob and Conner are all still working here. All four of them work full-time but I ordered for them to have today off because I wanted to spend time with you" my dad told me, causing me to smile. He continued telling me all about the 'boring' life he has, although I knew he loved living here. Once dinner was over I helped mum clean up before making my way back into my bedroom, I showered and changed into some leggings and a tank top before laying on top of my bed and pulling my phone out which has been gotten heaps of miss messages

From Sarah - Hey Girlie! How was your flight? I miss you...

From Tara - Heyyyyy Babe! I miss you SOOOOOO much! I wish you didn't leave :(

From Gabby - Howdy Partner! Good to be home? We are all heart broken that you left! :/

From Drake - Missing You Already! </3 :(

I smiled at my friends before replying

To Sarah - Hiya! My flight was good, slept the entire way! ;) I miss you as well! I wish you were here! :( </3

To Tara - Hey Hun! I MISS YOU ASWELL! I had to leave, you knew that!

To Gabby - Right Back At Ya! Yeah, it's great to be back! My parents even bought Midnight back for me! I'll send you some pictures later! I'm heart broken as well. I miss you all so much :"( </3

To Drake - I miss you as well but I thought we agreed to see other people?? ;)

I finished with all the texts before turning my phone off and waiting patiently for my parents to fall asleep.

I saw the lights flick off outside and grinned before opening my door slowly. I glanced down the hall, making sure no one else was awake. I had changed out of my leggings and was wearing some blue ripped jeans and a tight blue tank top with a cowboy hat. I walked as quietly as I could down the stairs and out of the house, shutting the door behind me. I sat on the chair outside and pulled my cowgirl boots on. I glanced back once more at the house before jogging towards the barn in the dimly light night. I opened the door and went straight to Midnight's familiar stable.

"Hey Boy" I greeted him, clipping the lead rope onto his halter. I lead him into the ally which was lit with lights. I body brushes his already clean coat before tacking him up in our western gear. I don't compete western but I love trail riding and exploring all the tracks around our house, so I always use my western saddle. When I compete though I do eventing, which is a combination of dressage, jumping and cross country. Once Midnight was tacked up I lead him out of the barn before mounting, I glanced once at the light blue sky and the house before facing the hills and trails, I pushed Midnight into a gallop before allowing his rhythmic hoofbeats and familiar scenery take me to another world.

Authors Note

What do you guys think??

Please comment your ideas because I'm not sure where I want this story to go!

Anyways

VOTE FAN COMMENT