Early June, a year after the first date, 9.14pm

The flat-warming was in full swing. Amanda thought Erica looked fantastic. Finding this flat and moving in together had really strengthened their relationship, and Amanda loved going in to the coffee shop to meet Erica at the end of the day so they could come home together. She smiled to herself as she slipped into the quiet of the kitchen, to drop an empty wine bottle in the recycling.

Erica followed her and hugged her from behind, kissing the back of her neck. 'Do you know how insanely hot you look in that dress?' she asked. It was the same dress that had made Erica draw a heart in Amanda's coffee, way back on the day she'd asked her out. Erica's hand strayed over Amanda's bum and hip, and down her leg to touch the hem of the dress. As Amanda leant back into her, sighing with pleasure, Erica started to push her dress up slightly and stroke the inside of her leg.

Amanda couldn't get over how much they both still wanted each other, as badly as ever before. 'Ummm. It looks OK, then?'

'After all these vultures have stopped eating and drinking us out of our new house and home...' They paused to kiss each other in pleasure at having moved in together. 'After they've all fucked off, I'm going to show you just how hot I think you are.'

Erica's a bit tipsy, thought Amanda as she turned round in her arms. She only swears when she's drunk or turned on. Her cheeks were flushed and her eyes were bright. She was a brilliant party host, especially with a glass of wine in her lovely hand. She had had all their friends laughing and feeling at home, all night. Also, purely selfishly, Amanda felt a delicious tingle of anticipation as she reflected that when Erica was a little bit drunk she also got quite experimental in bed. Amanda liked to get Erica a bit drunk now and again. 'Mmmm, sounds nice. Will it take long?'

'All night. And most of tomorrow. At least.' Erica's hand slid onto the inside of Amanda's thigh under her dress.

Amanda kissed her quickly but deeply. 'You know I love you, don't you?'

'I love you too, hun. More than ever before.'

The doorbell went, and Amanda wriggled reluctantly out of her girlfriend's arms. 'I'll get that.' Amanda kissed Erica again, quickly. 'Can you stick a couple more bottles in the fridge for the lads?'

Erica mock saluted as Amanda went to open the door. It was the young couple from the flat downstairs. They'd passed in the hallway a few times. Amanda kissed them both on the cheek and thanked them for the bottle they'd brought, as she led them through into the living room and introduced them to the others. The young woman looked around appreciatively at what the two girls had done with the flat, then asked, 'So, how did you guys meet?'

Erica giggled as she handed the boyfriend a chilled beer. 'Oh god, that's a long story...'