Chapter 1

"MUM!" I yelled across the huge house. I had just woken up from another bad dream. I had been having one of the same nightmares pretty often now. It was where I would be in our house when suddenly figures start to surround me. They don't seem like people or animals though. They are more like disfigured shadows, growling and hissing at me, telling me to die for reasons that I never have understood. The most unnerving was that it had happened more than usual. I had woken up screaming twice this week.

     There was no reply to my screams. My mom must have gone out to do some errands or something.  I got up from my bed and slipped on my slippers. They were warm and comforting, helping me calm down after the dream. "Breath in for 4, hold for 5, let out for 6." I muttered to myself. A friend had suggested this method whenever I was depressed, scarred or having a panic attack. It helped a lot. 

      Once I calmed down I looked at the calendar. "Sunday, May 15th" I said out loud, "Every one must have left the house. It is far too quiet for this house at noon." There was always some noise somewhere. I went downstairs to the kitchen. Just what I thought. There was a note that read...

      'Laura, we have all left to go to church. You were still asleep, so we are leaving. Be back around 3 o'clock. -Lots of love mom 

     Suddenly out of the corner of my eye I swear I saw something move and I heard a small whisper. I thought it looked like one of the shadows from my nightmares, but I just put it off to the side. I thought it was just the wind or something. The house was pretty old, so it could have just been a house creak. " Whatever" I mumbled as I continued on getting ready.

Help me I say, but she who holds the life by a strand ignores me. I guess I move on to another one of them to do my bidding. Come small child, join us.