Chapter Forty Nine

I gently kissed the black freckles over Ana's stomach. She laid down with her eyes closed, smiling that smile with the subtle reveal of her teeth. I got my Ana back. I got my Ana back. I got my Ana back.

We made love three times and then fell fast asleep. I slept a dreamless sleep and awoke refreshed, renewed, happy.

Ben and Robby were already up. Sylvia was making breakfast. Both Ben and Robby stared into my eyes with agitation and worry. I implied, with my eyes, that we would speak later. As I sat down, their gaze did not break and I wondered how it would be possible to convince them to stay any longer.

I stepped outside a few hours later; Robby and Ben did not hesitate to follow after, taking advantage of this opportunity to speak to me.

"When are we leaving, Devin?" Ben asked.

"I thought we might stay a while- a short while!"

"Devin, this is a hallucination- a distraction- You've got the dead and the living, all under one roof. You got to get your head straight, there's something about this mist and this place that's just not right. The longer we stay-"

"You don't think I've considered this?! Maybe this town is for the dead, maybe that's why they have peace. Maybe Ana died, and this, this room- this building, is their purgatory and somehow we found the hallway that led here. Maybe its exactly what they say it is, but I can't leave, not yet- Please, give me one week."

"A week?!"

"Please. I need this. Please..."