Chapter 6 (Fan91rl)

I smile gently and giggle, watching the girls run around each other waving their new bracelets in the air. They seem overjoyed to see me, and that makes me feel a bit better. Zoe lunges forward and grabs my wrist in her tiny hand, giggling and pulling me into the dance with them.

"Hey." a quiet-ish voice behind us says, causing me to turn quickly and drop Zoe and Shannon's hands. I brush some hair out of my eyes and tuck it behind my ears, then wave slightly.

"Hi Scarlett. What's up?" I answer, as cheerfully as I can. She shuffles from foot to foot, looking at the ground. Suddenly, she smiles nervously and walks towards us.

"Not much. Can I hang with you? Everyone else is sorta boring." she asks timidly. I look back at the girls and nod unsurely. Scarlett smiles and starts dancing with the girls, who immediately attack her with a million questions.

"Hi! I'm Shannon and she's Zoe and we're in Year Two!" Shannon chirps loudly. I smile, but it drops immediately when Scarlett turns and looks at me. Her blue eyes are sad, almost sympathetic. I look away. I don't need sympathy. I hang out with the girls because they're better company than the rest of the Year 5's and they don't make fun of me. Ever. I realize I've been standing here for about 5 minutes, and Scarlett's staring at me like I'm crazy. If only she knew.

"The bell's gone. Do you know where the Art Room is?" she tells me jokingly, mocking me for not noticing. I nod and shrug.

"Sorry, I zone out sometimes. C'mon, I'll show you." I reply, shaking my head slightly. I start walking towards the Art Room, but I don't look back to check if Scarlett's actually following me or not. I just assume she is, and I know I'm right when she crashes into my back in front of the door. I suppress a giggle and wait patiently as she walks in front of me, grinning.

"Thanks, nobody else really-" she gets cut off by a loud giggle and a call.

"SCARLETT! Why are you with that weirdo? C'mon, you can sit with us." Lia quips loudly. I cringe, and look down at the ground, waiting for Scarlett to leave. But she doesn't.