Chapter 10

"Quick, Xavier," mother whispered as she removed the plank inside the closet, revealing the little square that she had carved for me to hide in, "They're coming,"

"Why do I have to hide, mother," I asked, doe-eyed.

"I'll explain later," she said and helped me climb in. Once I was in; she placed the plank where it was and closed the closet door.

It was dark. The little hole she had created for me. But the good thing about it was, no one could see me, and as long as I remained quiet, no one could hear me.

I heard mother open the door to her room, and the heavy footsteps of two guards walked in.

"Freya," one of the guards with a gruff voice spoke, "We've come to collect the payment."

My mother was a cleaner. She was also a widower. Her husband had died the night of her wedding due to a health issue he had been battling since his youth, and despite the fact, she married him out of love. I never knew my father, and she hardly spoke of him except to tell me that he was an important man who resided in the Council. Truth was, I hardly had any knowledge of what the Council was and how it operated. But every time she talked of him, I saw a light in her eyes that I never saw before.

"Derek," I heard my mother attempting to sound cheerful, "How is your day,"

"Enough with the small talk, Freya," Derek, the gruff voice spoke, "Your payment was due two days ago."

Mother sighed, "I know. But, my pay check hasn't arrived yet and well," she paused. She clearly couldn't say she was surviving for two people now, could she? They'd float her.

"Well, what," Derek asked.

"Well," mother gave out a nervous chuckle, "I can't pay my rent if I don't have money,"

"What happened to your savings?" Derek asked.

My mother was quiet for a few seconds. Then, she responded, "I don't make much out of being a cleaner, Derek. You have to understand that,"

I heard Derek sigh. The other guard spoke instead, "I guess we can give you two more days. If you don't pay up, you might have to face some consequences,"

I could only imagine mother's response was a nod of the head. After that, the guards walked out and she closed the door. Sighing, she opened the closet and let me out.

I stretched out my legs while taking a look at the hole I was hiding in and said to mother, "I think I'll grow out of that very soon."

"I'm sorry, Xavier, darling," she said sighing and sitting at her bed. I glanced at her worriedly.

"Mother," I gulped before I spoke any further, "Why do we have to live in such secrecy? Why cannot they just accept me? I mean, I am only one person,"

Mother chuckled tiredly and gestured me to sit beside her. I did as she asked and she cupped my chin, "Dear, you need to understand that if the Council lets that happen, there'll be consequences. You see; it's like a ripple effect. If they pardon us, they'll be forced to pardon the others and that'll create an imbalance in the system of order and justice. They can't risk it, honey,"

"But it's not fair," I pouted, "I don't have any friends, no one to talk to,"

"You have me, honey," mother smiled.

"I know," I hugged her, "But I feel like this room is all I know."

She pulled away and stared at me, "And this is all you can know. I'm sorry, Xavier. But that's just how it has to be."