The Conversation

Kenji started by stashing his bag in a locker before proceeding to the dressing room, where he changed into the required work uniform. Donning black pants, a white shirt, and a checkered red vest with a matching necktie and waist-apron, he made sure he presented a polished appearance. Once satisfied with his look, he stepped out from behind the curtain and spotted Tamaki-san seated at a table in the middle of the staff room.

"Oh, you're on duty today?" Tamaki-san asked.

"I'm covering for Hamada. He's busy with his club activities," Kenji replied.

"Hmm, I see."

As Tamaki-san took a sip of water, Kenji made his way towards the door leading to the dining hall.

Before he could leave the room, however, Tamaki-san called out to him, stopping him in his tracks.

"Why did Sakamoto-kun get assigned back to Morikita? I thought Masato-san placed him under your supervision again," he asked.

Kenji paused for a moment, looking at Tamaki-san, who seemed relaxed while taking another sip of water.

The silence between them felt heavy as if there was more to this conversation than met the eye. Tamaki-san kept his gaze on Kenji, waiting for a response.

He asked, "What? Don't tell me you're even worse than Morikita."

"Maybe Masato-san thinks Morikita is more knowledgeable."

"Ah, that makes sense. Or maybe he's a masochist, just like that boy from Morikita's school."

Kenji couldn't help but chuckle.

"But don't you think Morikita treats him nicer than that sparkling guy?" Tamaki-san said, likely talking to himself or the wall. "Don't tell me they are dating..."

"But being nice to someone doesn't always mean an intimate relationship," commented Kenji, with a smile, although he felt as if a knife sliced into his chest.

"Hmm... yeah. Ah, this is all because of my girlfriend's gossip that I'm now thinking like her."

Kenji chuckled at Tamaki-san's ridiculous excuse. But as he didn't want to linger in the conversation, he opened a door to the back of the beverage station. And unexpectedly, he walked into the area where the "devils" he had just mentioned were busy chit-chatting, with the sounds of running water and clinking glasses filling the space as they cleaned.

And as Kenji approached, he overheard Sakamoto and Daichi talking.

"But, seeing how persistent he is... I think he still loves you as his own," Sakamoto said while accepting a glass from Daichi.

"He has an ulterior motive. Real fathers won't be that loving. Most of the time, they'll just nod along with whatever we say," Daichi replied.

"Heh, is that so? This is the first time I've heard that."

"Tsk, don't tell me your father is straight out of a manga."

Sakamoto chuckled in response. "Well, I'd say my dad at home is like a shojo heroine's father. But I heard my biological father was a caring person too."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, he immediately left his work when he heard my brother got hit by a car."

Standing at the doorway behind the two chit-chatters, Kenji found himself frozen in place as Sakamoto's words struck him. His voice seemed to have disappeared, and he forgot to blink as he gazed intensely at Sakamoto's back.

"Eh, Ueda-kun? You're here today?"

But Okawa-san's voice from the cash counter snapped him out of his trance. He looked towards the source of the voice and inadvertently met Sakamoto's gaze.