The Repeated Scene

As the days flowed with the rising sun, Sakamoto continued to lead his life much like clockwork, following a familiar routine. School, club activities, his part-time job at Mokachino, and assisting at his parents' ramen shop constituted the fabric of his daily existence.

To outsiders, his life might have appeared to be a monotonous and hectic replay of the same scene on a loop, like an old videotape. Yet, he found solace in this rhythm, especially when Yuuji was by his side more frequently.

Despite not sharing the same class, the two friends always managed to have lunch together. Even amid their divergent club commitments, they found ways to visit each other. Walking together from school to the nearest train station before parting ways became a cherished ritual – Yuuji heading home and Sakamoto journeying to Mokachino.

While some may have viewed his life as mundane, to Sakamoto, it felt akin to reliving a beloved memory, reminiscent of a time before Kenji entered their lives.

Unbeknownst to him, that cherished scene would soon be disrupted by an unwanted moment.

As the day's club activities concluded, Sakamoto rushed to the school's genkan. Rain poured relentlessly outside, mirroring the past few days. Anticipating Yuuji's presence for their customary walk home, he was disheartened to find the boy absent.

Sakamoto quickly took his phone out. Checking his phone, he discovered no messages from Yuuji. He then checked the digital clock that appeared on his phone screen. Though he longed to wait, time wouldn't permit him to linger.

Work at Mokachino awaited, and he risked being late.

There was no choice left. Sending a text to Yuuji, Sakamoto unfurled his umbrella and ventured toward the entrance gate. However, his steps faltered when he spotted Yuuji conversing with someone outside – that someone being Kenji.

"Ueda-san..."

His heart ached, and inner turmoil waged war against the negative thoughts creeping in.

It was a scene he recognized all too well – Kenji visiting Yuuji after his middle school graduation, the allure of Kenji's presence at the school drawing curious glances. Determined, Sakamoto approached them.

Painting a bright smile on his face, he asked, "Planning to walk home with Ueda-san?"

Both Yuuji and Kenji turned to face him, and Sakamoto made a valiant effort to maintain the shine in his cheerful expression.

"Uh... Naoki-kun..."

Shifting his gaze from Yuuji's innocent visage, Sakamoto turned to Kenji and offered a slight bow.

After straightening, he spoke, "It's been a while since you came to fetch Yuuji from school, Ueda-san. It's great to see you guys getting along again."

"I have something to discuss with Yuuji... Is that all right with you?"

"Of course, why wouldn't it be? No need to make it sound like I'm his father," Sakamoto replied, a soft chuckle punctuating his words. "Oh, look at the time— I'm running late for work. I'll head off now, okay?"

"Naoki-kun..."

Sakamoto smiled, letting Yuuji's voice go through his ears like a cold wind in winter.

Feigning calm, he bowed once more and turned away. Although he heard Yuuji call his name, he pretended the rain's din drowned out the sound, and steadfastly, he walked his path. With each step he took, Yuuji's voice grew fainter and fainter in his ears.