The Other Story

Outside the bustling coffee shop, the evening cast a warm reddish glow on the surroundings. Pedestrians strolled along the pavement, passing bicycles parked to the side, while at the back of the shop, a row of neatly arranged cars awaited their owners. Though their shifts weren't over yet, both Kenji and Sakamoto stepped outside for a moment, leaning against the low staircase as they gazed at the parking area. There, amidst the calm of the approaching dusk, a heartfelt conversation unfolded.

"I've never felt sorry for what happened to me in the past, but Yuuji... he's different," Sakamoto began, his gaze locked on the seemingly mundane car park.

His smile held a touch of sorrow, while Kenji listened in attentive silence.

And so, he continued, "Yuuji grew up being taunted by others for not having a father. His mother would vent her frustration on him, both mentally and physically, and then she left him all alone. But despite all the pain he endured, I still can't comprehend his love towards her."

Kenji glanced at Sakamoto, who sighed slightly, yet his smile persisted. After taking a deep breath, Sakamoto turned to Kenji, and his smile gained a more profound, yet pained, quality.

Their eyes met briefly, but Sakamoto quickly shifted his focus back to the front, as if facing Kenji made sharing his thoughts more challenging.

Nevertheless, he continued, "Maybe I can't understand him because I've never experienced any of those things. When I told him I no longer wanted to visit Kaoru-san's grave, he scolded me, saying Kaoru-san must be happy to know he is still remembered..."

Sakamoto paused, chuckling softly, before releasing a sigh.

"Remembering him... well, that's another thing I can't comprehend, because even though he's my brother, Kaoru-san has never been a part of my memory."

Kenji remained silent, absorbing Sakamoto's words, but at the same time, he couldn't help but recall his memories with Kaoru.

The boy had always been kind to everyone, his smile ever bright, regardless of how many years passed or how many people turned him away for no reason. It had been a long time ago when Kaoru had approached Kenji, finding him sitting alone.

With a simple line, he extended his small hand and a wide smile, saying, "Do you want to be my friend?"

And without a second thought, Kenji had taken that hand. From that moment on, they were inseparable.

But their time together was cut short when winter drew near, and although Kaoru eagerly awaited the birth of his brother, Kenji had to leave. The sadness was evident on the boy's face upon receiving the news. Yet, he accepted it with a smile and an optimistic outlook.

"Don't worry about me, okay? I'll have my brother here," Kaoru said, his voice filled with unwavering hope.

The memory of that moment was etched vividly in Kenji's mind. He looked at the young man standing beside him, his chestnut-coloured eyes reminiscent of Kaoru's. A wave of emotions washed over him as he spoke softly, almost to himself.

"It's my fault that Kaoru couldn't get to see you," Kenji said, his gaze still captivated by the eyes before him. "It's my fault that you couldn't get to know your family..."

"Please don't blame yourself, Ueda-san," Sakamoto said in a soothing tone. "The loss is indeed painful, but sometimes, we have to look at the bright side. I'm grateful to have parents who love me as their own... and I got to know Yuuji."

Kenji agreed silently, taking in Sakamoto's words as he understood the sentiment behind them.

"Even though I was offered a chance to return to the past and know my biological family," Sakamoto continued, "I don't want to. I prefer my life this way."

Kenji almost felt a weight lift off his shoulders as he heard Sakamoto's words. It was as if a burden he had been carrying for so long was finally being eased. He wasn't grateful for the kind words, but he also wanted to hear the same words directly from Kaoru's mouth.