Part Nine

Letty's POV

I woke up in the morning with Dom's body curled around mines protectively. I rolled over to see what he looked like in the morning. He automatically shifted position to accommodate my new position without ever stirring from his sleep. In his sleep he looked peaceful. His body relaxed and his entire face calm. He looked younger in his sleep. More vulnerable.

His eye fluttered open slowly and he grinned when he saw me staring at him. His grin allowed creases to form in the corners of his eyes.

"Morning," he murmured in his gravelly voice which was slightly thick with sleep.

"Morning," I murmured in reply.

He chuckled at me and buried his face into my neck, pressing a soft kiss into curve making me wriggle and incline my face towards his.

"What we gonna do today?" Dom asked me as he rolled over to stare up at the damp spotted ceiling. The room looked even dingier in the open, honest light of day.

I frowned. "What do you want to do?" I didn't really know LA well enough to decide what to do in a day.

"We could go to Hollywood boulevard," he said but his eyes were dancing with laughter.

I screwed up my nose with an innate natural disgust. "And hang out with the rich snobs and skanks? Not a hope in hell."

Dom laughed. "That's my girl."

My girl. I liked how the words fell from his lips with ease. They weren't prepared. They were like a familiar caress. Even though they were possessive, a claim at ownership, after eighteen months of not belonging to anyone or being a part of anything, it was refreshing to be claimed, to belong. I was a feminist but when it came to him I didn't mind being his because he was mine.

An idea struck me. "Take me to three places that are significant to our relationship. You know what I mean. Three places where something changed, started, built on or impacted on our relationship."

Dom nodded at my request. "Okay."

He kissed me gently and we rose from the bed. We freshened up for the day. We grabbed something to eat from a diner nearby. Dom organised for Brian and Mia to collect my car and he took me in his car, the 1970 Charger, and we headed off together.

His first stop was a busy street in LA. He frowned as he got out of the car. His eyes surveying every inch of the packed street. I climbed out, anxious not to miss a second of this. If I loved him the way I knew I did, this would maybe help bring back some memories. I didn't even want everything back now, something would be enough. Anything.

He paced down the street, weaving through the crowd. For a second he forgot I was with him and then stopped abruptly to slip his hand into mines. Then he led me through the crowd, making sure he didn't lose me again.

"Okay, this spot right here," Dom said stopping in the middle of the crowd.

"What happened here?" I asked. It was just a spot on the pavement. What could have happened here?

"See where you're stood right now?" Dom tilted his head in question. "That very spot?"

I nodded eagerly.

"In London I told you you got the scar on your wrist the night of your first street race. You were fifteen. That was the night you and I first got together." Dom smiled at me.

"At the time I was driving a Mk 2 Escort, a sapphire blue one. I was eighteen. I was lined up ready to race, just there," Dom gestures towards the traffic lights just under a quarter mile away. "There was four other guys up against me. All real good, solid racers. I was gunning the engine like the others, preparing myself mentally to beat them all. I glanced to my right and I saw this girl. This beautiful girl. For a long minute all I could think was damn, where have you been hiding? Then I realised it was you. You and Mia had dressed up a little for the races. It was supposed to be a pit stop on your way to a club. You looked beautiful in a little red low cut top, it showed enough to be classy but not enough to stop the mind wondering about what was really hidden underneath. Then these black skinny jeans which showed every beautiful curve and combat boots. You looked incredible Let."