In Need of Love

This is it. This plan has to work. Once Mrs. Janelle gets out of the way, I'm out of this place. No more abandonment. No more nightmares. No more captivity. No more tears. Freedom.

Maxie looks at me and I know she's trying not to cry. Be brave. But it's so hard not to cry. I turn around and blow her a kiss. She smiles as she catches it and closes her fist, putting it near her heart. I hide next to the door, trying to stay under the coat hanger, and certainly trying not to be caught. She screams to distract Mrs. Janelle and just as planned, Mrs. Janelle runs inside the adoption center. I run out quickly and crawl under the fence. For once, I'm thankful for all the stress. My skinny body fits the hole almost perfectly, but I scratch my leg.

Suddenly, I hear a voice. My mother's voice. I slow down. But it can't be. Stop thinking. It's just you. Mom is dead. I run even faster. The voice is back but it doesn't slow me down anymore. It motivates me. I'm only hers. Mommy's little girl. I don't need new parents. And I would never go back to the years when I was with my dad. Maybe only because he left me here. But not anymore. I'm running free from my past. I'm not looking back anymore. It's time to look ahead.