Chapter Five: Busy Day

"Okay. You can look now." The hairstylist turns the chair so that I am facing the mirror. My hair is no longer long or blonde. "How do you like it?" She smiles to herself as if shes proud of what she has done. I stare into the mirror again. It starts brown at the top and fades into a shade of blonde. 

"It's nice.", I state and I mean it. I never did anything to my hair. I used to braid it everyday, letting it drop right next to my waist. 

"It's ombre. Starts dark at the top and turns light at the bottom." She looks at me, scared for my reaction.

"No, it's awesome. I love it. Thank you so much." She grins wide and takes the large cape off of me. My hair falls on the floor as she shakes it off. I look in the mirror and meet Alex's eyes, staring right at mine. He looks serious, like he's observing me. But as soon as I look at him, he slowly smiles. The woman goes to the cash register and Lauren goes to pay. 

"What do you think?", I ask for his opinion. He comes closer and gently touches my hair. 

"You look beautiful.", he whispers to me. I feel my whole body freeze. Blood rushes through my whole body. My heart pounds against my chest like a drum. 

"Thanks." , I mutter under my breath. A million words are trying to reach me but thats all I could think of.The relfection in the mirror distracts me. I still can't get over this. Having the same hair for all my life and suddenly changing it. But I actually like it. How am I even supposed to feel?

I touch my hair myself. Alex's hand brushes against mine as he takes his hand off.

Like he didn't feel a thing, he keeps on talking. "Angel Young, huh?" He raises his eyebrows. "How do you feel about that?" 

"Who said you have to be my therapist?", I beam. 

"I can if you want. Or I could be something else..." What is he thinking of? Boyfriend? I blush at the thought and he sees me. Crap. Instead he distracts me. Whew. "This is a lot to go through. I want to help you. You know that, right?" 

I nod my head. "Yes I know.", 

"Okay we're done here. Should we go to Starbucks nearby?", Lauren rushes over.

"Sure.", I respond. Never been there. But I don't tell her. She will freak out. Because its her 'life'. 

We sit down at a table and Lauren goes to buy coffee for us. The two of us are left alone. Again. "So... what's new?", he says in a weird tone.

"You know. Just a new life. Nothing big.", I say sarcastically. He chuckles silently. 

"Cappucino. Tea. And for me, vanilla bean.", Lauren says cheerfully as she passes out the drinks.

"Where am I going to live?", I blurt out randomly. Lauren and Alex look at each other. 

"Um..." Lauren sits there, thinking.

"I have a house that my parents bought me when I turned sixteen. It's a small little house with one bedroom and a small bathroom and kitchen. I think it should be enough.", Alex answers our question.

"So where do you live?", I ask.

"With my parents. It's just a house for times when I want to be alone, or hang out with friends. No one knows about it though. I wanted it to be a place for me only."

"That's perfect!", Lauren exclaims. 

"Yeah. I can check on her if she needs help. It'll be her home."

"No. Alex. It can't be my house. It's yo-"

"I don't use it so what's the point? Come one. It's for you. Please Ariel or Angela or what ever you want to be called. It's better for all of us."

"Okay. Fine." I sigh loudly. A small house sounds nice. All to myself. And Alex... I think I like it. But I still feel unsure about all of this.

"I'll get you the keys to it and show you around. I think it'll be alright." He picks up his tea and takes a sip. "I promise." 

And like that, I looked different. I felt different. I was different. 

"So tomorrow is time to move in." Lauren gets really excited. "We're going shopping."

"Now?"

"Now."

She takes my hand and beckons for Alex to come. "She needs something in that closet." She turns around and faces Alex. "Wait... there's a closet right?"

He nods. "Okay good. One thing a girl needs is a closet. Full of clothes."