Chapter Three: The Search

"Hello?", Lauren pauses. "Ariel? Um... I don't know Ar- oh. I see." Lauren narrows her eyes and hands me the phone. "She says shes Maxie." She looks at me skeptically.

"Maxie?! Oh my god." I grab the phone from her hand. "Hello?"

"Lauren. You're okay. Listen. I have to tell you something."

"How did you get my number?"

"It's not important. They know that I know."

"Know what Maxie?"

"That you ran away. Soon they will be asking me where you went. I know your plan, your stay, although not the exact address. But they'll question me. The police are everywhere. I think I'm going to run away. Now."

"W-what? Max, it's too dangerous. I barely made it out alive! Do you even have a plan? Because I- I failed mine and-"

"You're still alive. Yes, I'm sure. I just wanted you to know. Okay? Now's my chance. I won't be living a good life here anyways. The scars on my face? Do you think anyone will want me Ari?"                              

I stand in place, mouth open. But nothing comes out. She got scarred when she was three and nothing can ever make that disappear. I learned to love her by her warm heart, not her face. But in the adoption center, everyone knows that people choose you by your looks.

"It's not like that M-"

"Yes. This is the world we live in. I guess we have to deal with it. Ari, I have to go. Wish me luck."

"Wait! I j-just want you to know that you were and still are an amazing friend."

"Ariel, this is not a goodbye. I'll see you... one day. We'll reunite. I promise." Although I can't see her, I can see her smile. She hangs up and I stand with the phone still next to my ear. 

"Are you.. uh.. okay? Who was that?"

"My friend. She did exactly what I did. Run away. And I don't even know how I feel."

"Well, you made it alive, didn't you? Not only that. You found us. A family, a home... a new beginning." She takes the phone that's still hanging in my hand and sits next to me. "She's on a journey. She'll find her destination, just like you. Don't worry. She will be fine." Lauren stands up and leaves the room. "Call me if you need me."

Biting my lip nervously, I continue to sit on her bed. She's right. I don't need to worry about Maxie. But there's something else I should be worried about.

Why would they look for me? Mrs. Janelle never cared about me. She only smiled to me when someone came to see me. To see if I'm worth the trade. To see which slave to buy and maybe, maybe keep. So why did she set up a search for me? My brain is filled with unanswered questions. 

What will happen if they find me?