Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Yes, back then Dylan was determined to pick up where I had left off. Speaking of Andrea, I believe it was the next day that she had officially left the hospital. She ran into Val at the entrance as they waited for Uber. Valerie remembered when she saw her at the party throwing away her ring. She took this as the opportunity to comfort seeing that her and Andrea were neither friend nor foe. They ended up at a little well known restaurant, 'well well-known to us,' 'The Peach Pit.' Nat welcomed them with opened arms kissing them both on the forehead, just like he did with all of us. Now the Peach Pit had changed drastically since we last stepped foot in it. It was on the corner of a shopping strip with a glass window for its forefront. The jukebox had been replaced with coffee machines and the clientele was now cool hipsters from college and high school. It didn't matter which form it came in the Peach Pit was home.

"May I have a mega burger and a shake?" Val requested.

"I second that." Andrea raised her hand.

"It's coming on the house." Said Nat from behind the counter.

He disappeared into the kitchen to fulfill their request and when the door swung shut behind him they both broke out in laughter.

"He's so happy to see us." Andrea replied. "To our final night in Beverly Hills." They raised their club sodas to a clink.

"Funny I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. Being in this restaurant makes me not want to leave."

"Oh, I agree. So, what have you been up to Malone?"

"Nothing much." She said playing it safe. "I mean nothing that you probably don't know about. The accident of course shook me up and made me realize the importance of life. Especially since that nice man past away. How bout you? Are you ok?"

"I don't know. Weird response, but I really don't know. I thought coming back here would be totally different from before. But it's not. It's still the same Beverly Hills with minor changes. I thought the party and the ceremony would be a boring affair but look at all that's already happened and it only seems to be getting more interesting by the moment." She said this while thinking of the kiss Brandon and her shared.

"I hear you."

In a matter of minutes Nat came out with burgers and fries. He placed it in front of them to their delight.

"So how long are my girls staying?"

"Just for the night." They said in sync.

The disappointment on his face couldn't be hidden. "Only a night, what's the rush. After being in that disaster no one should be rushing to go back to work."

"It's just best that we head back." Andrea answered for them both. When the words came out of her mouth she began to wonder why she was so anxious to go home, she knew who would be waiting at her door, Jesse the last person she wanted to see. He didn't even bother to stay and see her out the hospital, no, he just took the kids the day before and left.

Nat handed them his number on the way out while they promised to stop by Joan and Franky, his wife and son, a promise they had no intention of keeping. They walked down the strip where the restaurant was in not in any hurry to check into a hotel room. They expected a whole new world given the amount of time they were away, but walking down that sidewalk proved differently. It wasn't Rodeo Drive, there was just a Planet Fitness, a Forever 21 and a few jewelry stores, nothing special yet the whole block was lit up like Christmas. Housewives were sporting their best heals and their kids were decked out in Gucci. People walked by with their loaded shopping bags in pride, paying money like they were celebrities. Valerie got a similar feeling when she first got off the airplane and they went for a drive in Brandon's convertible.