Chapter 11: Before Brenda Died

"Why were you walking by yourself?" Dylan asked Brenda who he had just picked up on the side of the road.

"I was thinking, about stuff."

"That's not a full answer Bren."

They stood in front of the Walshe's house in preparation to go in, but he couldn't do so until she told him the whole truth.

"At least tell me why you're here." He asked.

"Why is everyone asking me that?!" She got defensive. "Is this not my parents' house? Why can't I come home? Tell me why Dylan?"

"Brenda, we all know you. You're always up to something, so what do you need? What's bothering you? What is it?"

Brenda struggled to find the words, as if they were stuck in her mouth, it was then that Dylan knew that something was terribly wrong. The question now was what.

They entered the mad house together and what they came into caught both by surprise. Kelly was crying, her face a light red like she had been sobbing for hours on end without ceasing.

"You're a liar Dylan McKay!" She screamed, she glanced at Brenda ominously, then threw her ring in her former fiancé's face. She ran into Steve's arms in the backyard, it was one of his friends from the frat house that had relayed the news about the affair. Dylan caught in his hand the ring; he had never been so confused.

Brandon oversaw everything from the top of the stairs.

"Brandon! What the hell is going on?!" He looked to his best man for an explanation, he wondered what could have possibly happened, he only went for a quick drink.

"You two might wanna try being a little less predictable." Brandon said as he came down from the stairs.

"Again, I ask, what is going on?!"

"Dylan, you could cut the crap we all know that you and Bren were making out behind Club 99. Perfect plan to, but you got caught. Good news travels fast. And Kelly called off the wedding."

A distraught Dylan couldn't formulate a sound, he went dashing to his then lover in hopes of explaining and changing her mind. As soon as he was gone Valerie's merciless shriek of laughter followed, leaning against Brandon she was filled with a glee.

"Are we now preparing for your wedding?" Valerie taunted Brenda, all his twin could do was put her head down.

"Not the time Val." He nudged her lightly letting her know that she had to leave. It was then just Brenda and him on the first floor.

"Did you do it Bren?" He said this in the kindest manner, hoping to get an honest answer out of his sister.

She answered, "No," in the most unconvincing way and he shrugged his shoulders, which confirmed that the rumors were indeed true.

"Well if you didn't do it, you should go to Kelly and say that it was a lie." Her brother took her by the hand to do just that. "C'mon let's see Kelly." When he tried to escort her, she snatched her hand away.

"You see it is true!" He revolted.

"Yes, it is."

"Ugh! Bren how could you?"

He went off immediately to console Kelly with the rest. There Brenda stood once again the black sheep of the family. The house that once brought her so much joy felt like a prison. It was then that she decided that she was done being the puzzle piece that no longer fit.

She picked up one of the photos they were planning on placing on the cover of the program. "If the wedding is off and they're not getting married then yes, it is true." She said to herself hoping that no one heard.

My sister. Only my sister. She had a good heart she simply did not know how to handle things. When the rumor was confirmed true even though it wasn't I got drunk. I didn't remember drinking all that much after talking to sis but then again, I was drinking and that's the point of alcohol right? You want to forget. Anyway, I wasn't the only one tipsy that night Kelly was as well and when we came together for a second after the anger and the rage settled we had one more night of passion that I would completely forget by morning. It would be a week after this encounter that she would discover that she was pregnant. And when she found out it appeared to be too late.