Chapter Three: Evan

Enough time had passed that Raven was able to compose herself and clean the mascara that ran under her eyes. She was sitting on the couch with a warm cup of tea in her hands. The steam billowed up and she could feel the light mist kiss her face. She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath.

Three sharp knocks hit the front door making her jolt and a few drops of tea fell on the orange and white floral patterned couch beneath her.

"Coming!" Raven yelled as she set the mug on a coaster on the side table between the couch and chair.

She opened the door to find, as she expected, Evan with his hands in his pockets and a grim look on his face. His dirty blond unkempt hair rested on his forehead and he was wearing an old grey shirt with some type of computer game logo on the front. He always looked like he just crawled out of bed.

"Hey. How are you?" Evan asked as he avoided eye contact.

"I'm fine. Come in."

Evan walked in and Raven closed the door behind him. He stood awkwardly close to the door with his hands still tucked in his pockets. Raven stared at him for a few seconds, annoyed that he wasn't saying anything.

"Evan, please say something you're worrying me that you want to break up or something," as Raven said this, her voice quivered a little and she cleared her throat.

Two painfully long minutes creeped by until Evan finally met Raven's gaze.

"I am breaking up with you."

Raven's heart skipped a beat. It felt like her heart dropped into her stomach and she instantly felt nauseous.

"W-w-what?" She tried to get out, fighting back tears.

"I'm breaking up with you. I've been thinking about it a lot lately and I just don't think we want the same things in life. You want to get married at some point and I just don't."

"I have never said anything about getting married?" Raven asked as she felt her face turning red. She could tell that Evan was making excuses.

"Okay well to be honest... It is really hard to handle you when you have anxiety. I just don't feel the same way about you when you have anxiety attacks and I think my life would just be easier if we broke up."

That explanation stopped everything going through Raven's head. Asshole.

"Okay," she said.

"Okay?" Evan looked shocked.

"You can leave now," she said and pointed to the door.

"Well I just want you to know that I do not regret any of the time I've spent with you. These past seven months have been great, but this relationship is just past its time. I really hope we can still be frie-"

"Just stop."

Evan uncomfortably stood in the same spot for a few minutes, looking at the floor and shifting his weight. Raven stared at him, emotionless. Finally, he reached toward the doorknob and pulled it open.

"Well... bye," he said, longingly looking at Raven.

She looked at him and didn't say anything.

A heavy moment passed, then Evan finally closed the door behind him. As soon as she heard the latch of the door catch, Raven ran over and locked the door. She turned around and put all her weight against the frame and slowly sat down, using the heavy wood as support. Everything Evan just said ran through her mind at breakneck speed, so she just sat.

After about 30 minutes of not moving a muscle, Raven finally stood up. He's not worth it. You're going to be better without him. She tried to reassure herself this over and over until she mustered enough energy to get into bed. She started crying and knew that in a short amount of time, she would be asleep.