Chapter 4

Iris couldn't speak. She was too busy stuffing her mouth full of the delicious food they served on the train. Plates of what used to be cooked ham glazed in a delicious sauce, mashed potatoes with butter slowly melting over it, steamed vegetables with seasoning on it and a soft sponge-cake with icing covering the top of it lay in front of her, its remains showing on her mouth.
     She looked over at Chad, who was still digging into his ham. Presley was watching him scarfing it down, getting napkins ready for them. "Take this," she said, throwing one to Chad disgustedly. He chuckled a bit, food falling from his mouth as he laughed. Presley had to get up and dash to the bathroom to do what she must when she sees gross things.
     Odis looked at him. "Great," he said, "Now she's going to ignore you for a few hours until she forgets about that miserable sight." Iris laughed. Then she remembered when her and Chad were making a plan for the Games. "Hey, Odis," she started. "Would it be smart to eat a lot before the games?" Odis gave a look that screamed "maybe."
     "They have tables full of food when you are first getting into your pods, but if you eat too much, you will probably throw up the first hour, if you survive. But I see what you're thinking," he started. Chad finished for him, "If you eat before the games, you will be less hungry the first few hours, or possibly a day." Odis nodded.
     "But be careful," he said. "There was one tribute when I played in the Games who wasn't fit to run because she ate too much. She died the first minute." Iris and Chad recoiled in fear. "Just a heads up," Odis said. Presley walked back into the room, her face pale. "Now, where were we?" She asked, avoiding making eye contact with Chad. "You were right," Chad said to Odis. Presley didn't even ask about it.
     Suddenly, an idea sparked in Iris's mind. "Hey," she said, "What if we watch the other Hunger Games? We could get ideas." Presley shook her head. "I don't think that's against the rules, but first, you have to watch the other Reaping ceremonies in the other districts," she said. Iris nodded. "Let's go!" Presley said, beginning to march into the room with the TV.
     When Iris, Chad, and Odis made it into the room, Presley was staring intently at the screen. The Capitol logo was appearing on the screen, and soon, the famous, young announcer, Caesar Flickerman, appeared on the screen. "Welcome, ladies and gentlemen of Panem! The Reaping has recently happened, and it is time to show the tributes' reapings! Here we go, starting with District 1!" He said.
     Iris watched as two young children were called up stage, both of their faced drained of color. The boy shyly stuttered his words, whike the girl confidently spoke hers. The District 2 tributes were called. Iris watched as the young girl stepped up, recognizing her as Heather. "What? Is that President Snow's daughter?" Heather gasped. "Apparently," Odis replied. She walked up stage, and then they called the boy name, Jonathan Vecter. He was short and seemed young, his brown hair and freckles sticking out among the crowd.
     They called the girl tribute for District 3. Her name was apparently Isabelle, her dark hair swinging as she ran up stage excitedly for some reason. She said brave words in a way like she had wanted to get picked. Then the boy tribute walked up as his name, Michel, was called. He had short, dark hair and tan skin, and he spoke not as confidently as Isabelle.
     They kept calling named until District 7 was called. The girl tribute walked up nervously, as her name, Naiome, was called. Then the boy tribute walked up as they called his name, Francis, and they gave their small speeches.
     Soon, they reached District 11. Iris watched as she was called up, walking up confidently and giving her speech the best she could. The boy was called. Chad volunteered. They shook hands, and the screen switched to the last Reaping.
     After District 12, the screen faded, leaving only the reflection of Iris, Chad, Odis, and Presley staring at the screen. "Those are your competitors," Presley said. Iris looked out the window to see the train slowing down as an Avoc walked out and gestured that they made it to the Capitol. Presley got up. "Well," she said, "It's time to go!"
     Iris looked out the window to see many Capitol citizens holding up signs with the District 11 logo on it and cheering their names wildly. Iris smiled at them, while Chad waved. Presley made her way to the entrance of the train and said, "Welcome to the Capitol!"