Ch. 5 Hunger Hunger Go Away

What I assume is the questionnaire arrived mysteriously on the small table in the living room. It is maybe three pages thick and has my whole name written on the top...which is weird in itself. I can't really say that I am surprised though. They seem to know a lot of things.

I have no desire to fill out the questionnaire, nor do I want to give them the satisfaction of me doing what they ask. So I haven't even touched it. I have a feeling it won't go over well, but I am Josiphene Annabelle Taylor.

I have been sitting on this couch staring into space for at least five hours now. The food machine thingy keeps beeping, I keep ignoring it, and then I get paranoid that the aliens will get mad or something. 

So far I have contemplated my future, which seems a tiny bit bleak, my hunger, and what the aliens could possibly want with a whole bunch of humans. The fact that this infirmary has what looks like at least a hundred rooms does kind of indicate that there will be more than just myself here. The fact that I am in room 1A does seem to show that I am the first one they brought here, maybe they will underestimate me.

"You know, it has been more than twelve hours since you have last eaten," Alec said from my doorway scaring the the daylight out of me.

When I don't answer he starts to look a little confused, and I can tell that he must be thinking about something. He presses something on the outside wall of my room and soon the doctor and Alec have both entered my room, the door swishing shut behind them.

"Doctor, how often do humans have to eat?" Alec asks, still staring at me.

"They usually eat three meals per day, around 5-7 hours apart," the doctor says while pressing a few buttons on the food replicator thingy.

"She hasn't eaten."

"Yes Alec, I can see that," the doctor says as he makes his way to the couch where I have curled my feet up underneath me and I have wrapped my arms across my chest.

I have started to miss the things I used to have only half a day ago, like my fuzzy pajama socks, my crazy orange cat, and my freedom. I feel boxed in, like I am never going to escape and that I have no chance at the life I used to dream of. The life that I worked so hard for.

The doctor brings the scanner device around my head and his fast, jerky movements catch me off guard so I suddenly stand up and race out of the room to the room that I assume is my temporary bedroom. I go to slam the door shut, but then I realize that there is no door to slam, no door to lock, and most of all, no door to hide behind.

I can hear the light murmurings of Alec and the doctor, but they must be speaking their own language, because it sounds very different from English, or any other languages I have heard.

Soon I find myself sitting on the floor with my head resting on my bent knees and my arms are over my head. Fortunately, neither the doctor or Alec come into my room, and I hear the door swish closed behind them.

I get up from the wall and go back to the couch, but before I can sit down, I see what appears to be a fruit salad on the table. Maybe they had thought that I couldn't figure out how to work the machine. I don't really care, the gnawing in my stomach seems to have faded for the time being.

Next thing I know I am waking up to Alec's face a few inches from mine. He has a hand on my shoulder as if he was trying to shake me awake. I jolt away from him, and he quickly backs up a foot or two. He is wearing different clothes, this time his clothes are a little less military looking, and slightly more casual, although I could be interpreting this alien fashion quite wrong.

"Dr. Geneva would like to speak with you."

I don't say anything, but I shake my head a little bit to get the hair out of my face. He looks a little worried, and I have no idea what that means. There is no way that he could be worried about me, especially since I have given him nothing but grief, I mean, I threw up on him!