Chapter One: Meeting her (Carlisle's Prospective)

I sat at my desk reading. I had about a thousand emails I had to open, read, and reply to but I could get that done later. I only had a thousand years to read this book and one day to read those emails, no biggie.

    I jumped as the door to my office opened and one of the nurses entered the room. She flushed as I looked up at her, as most did.

    "Yes Nancy?" I asked in a soft tone. I carefully set my book down and opened one of the emails, acting as if I had been reading it all along.

    "There is a patient, room 124. We need your help, we can't seem to reset the bones correctly." She said.

    "What happened to them?" I asked standing up and slipping on my lab coat.

    "Dislocated ribs, Doctor. She is in a great deal of pain." Nancy said, avoiding my eyes, a guilty look on her face.

    I walked slowly over to her and set my hand on her shoulder comfortingly, "It's quite alright Nancy, I'll take care of her."

    Nancy smiled up at me and I grinned. I walked past her and out into the hall. I searched the hallways for room 124, always forgetting where it was. When I reached room 122 I could smell it then. A smell of lilacs overwhelmed me and I had to grasp onto the railing on the wall to steady myself. The smell was coming from room 124.

    When I opened the door to the room the smell was even stronger. I took a few deep breaths, I needed to keep self control. I've been a vampire long enough, just calm down.

    There were several nurses in the room already, crowding the patient. I couldn't see her face. All the nurses looked up as I closed the door softly, still grasping the handle for support.

    "Dr. Cullen? Are you alright?" One of the male nurses asked. I looked down to see my hands were shaking.

    I looked up and put on my best smile. "Oh, yes. I'm alright, just a little light headed for a moment, that's all."

    All the nurses moved out of my way and left the room, leaving only me and the girl. I looked at her charts which were on the nightstand and read her name, Arwen Hathe.

    "Hello Miss. Hathe. I'm Doctor Cullen." I said I hadn't looked at her face yet, for I was still trying to cope with her scent.

    "Hello." She said. Her voice was low but soft. I could hear the pain and that's when I looked up.

    I heard myself take a breath in. Her face was beautiful. There were tears of pain streaming down her cheeks. She looked about 20 years old, near my human age. I was 23 when I changed. Her face was a soft pale white and her cheeks were flushed pink. Her head was covered with long auburn hair that curled ever so slightly at the ends. She had a defined jaw line and a curved nose. Her eyes were closed so I couldn't see them but I knew they would stun me even more. It was a moment before I could look away.

    "So what seems to be the problem Miss. Hathe?" I asked still staring.

    She looked up at me and our eyes met. I could hear her heartbeat speed up and her face blushed. We stared at each other for a moment before she answered.

    "I fell out of a tree, saving a cat. I feel so embarrassed."

    I smiled. She saw and her face turned scarlet.

    "I'll help you, personally. I will get those ribs back in place." I said.

    Arwen looked up at me as I checked her x-ray, things much different than relocating ribs on my mind.