Chapter 30

When I exit the building there is an angry group of people surrounding Eden by the middle school, yelling things at her like "So we let murderers have the same freedom as us now?" and "this entire thing is her fault!" I rush over to the furious crowd to make sure nothing arises.

"Hey! What's going on?" I yell, "We shouldn't be fighting! Especially if such a horrible thing has just happened and she's the victim."

"No, they're right. It's all my fault, Rachael." Eden whimpers, overwhelmed by all the events of the day.

"She didn't kill Sam because she wanted to, you all heard her! It was self defense!" I yell out at the angry mob.

"No, that's not just it! Look around you! Because of her gunshot we're surrounded." Tom roars at me.

"What?" I stop and question.

"We're surrounded by corpses, Rachael, and it's all my fault." Eden cries into her flannel.

I move out of the crowd and to the stairwell that leads to the roof. I climb the gray metal stairs one by one, carefully taking my time with each step. I repeat over and over to myself that I'm in a dream, Sam's not dead, neither is Laina, Nataly is not at fault for any herd coming at us because we're not surrounded. The evening wind hits my face but seems to do nothing but pull my hair back. I continue up the stairs until I reach the roof. At the top I see a worried Will looking out with a pair of binoculars.

"Will" I whimper out to him. He turns to me with a face of defeat and hands me the binoculars.

And there they are, a huge herd of corpses, two miles out, coming for the NOVA safe zone that has been a refugee camp for 5th graders and up for 3 and a half years waiting for an unstoppable force to knock it down.