Chapter 3

12 October 1999 10:13am

The Gunthers' POV

"Jack! Where are the damn car keys!"

"Carol check the kitchen counter for fuck sakes! How should I know. I'm very aware that you're worried but I am to. The last thing Rosalie needs (wherever she is) is for us to start losing our heads right now!"

Rosalie's father Jack made his way into the kitchen, meeting Caroline in front of the refrigerator. He grabbed his beloved wife by the shoulders and looked into her eyes.

"Honey. Everything is going to be fine. I promise." He pulled her into his arms and she lay her head on his brawny chest.

From the corner of her eye Caroline caught a glimpse of Rosalie's high school graduation photo hanging crookedly from a horseshoe magnet on the fridge. Her eyes welled up with tears as she squeezed her husband tighter.

"It isn't like her to not call. She always texts me if she going to run late or stay at Alice's over night. Jack we can't just stand here we have to do something."

Caroline took a step back releasing him from the firm embrace. She looked up at him with sad eyes.

"I'll try to get a hold of Alice."

Mrs. Gunther reached for the rotary phone hanging on the wall. Her lace slip peeked out of her open white robe.

"There's no answer," she said slamming the phone back into place.

"Let's head down to the police station and we'll file a report there. After that's taken care of we'll head over to Sam's house and pay him a surprise visit. Mr. Gunther grabbed his Chicago Bulls mug off the counter and sipped his coffee.

"I told you that kid was bad news," Mrs. Gunther said pushing past him and heading for their bedroom.

"Now wait just a minute!"

Mr. Gunther followed close behind.

"You're the one who invited him over last year for Slamma Jamma night."

Slamma Jamma was a pajama party hosted by Jack Gunther himself during playoff season. He had his very own autographed Scotty Pippen's jersey and boy did he cherish it. A loving gift from his one and only daughter. He'd invited a few of his buddies from work last year and allowed his daughter's boyfriend to join them for some grown up-boy bonding time in hopes of getting to know him better. In Mr. Gunther's opinion, Sam didn't seem like much of a trouble maker. In fact, he would often describe Sam as charismatic and disciplined.

Mr. Gunther watched as his wife struggled with the buttons on her blouse.

"Here let me," he said.

Mrs. Gunther dropped her hands at her side and rolled her eyes as Mr. Gunther skillfully manipulated the buttons on her top.

She gave him a half smile before leaving the room and heading towards the front door.

Mr. Gunther met his wife outside. She was already in the car, bare feet on the dashboard when he approached the driver's side door. He let himself in and they sat in silence for a short while before pulling out of the driveway and heading to the Mars Hill police station.

Mrs. Gunther approached the front desk of the station.

"May I help you?"

"I'd like to report a missing person."

Mr. and Mrs. Gunther looked at eachother then back at the sheriff who sat before them.

"He spat some black goo into a small can then spoke.

"Who's the missing person?"

"It's our daughter Rosalie. Rosalie Gunther."

The officer stood up and adjusted the buckle on his belt.

"Follow me," he said.

Mr. and Mrs. Gunther followed the Sheriff into a small room towards the back of the police station.

"Take a seat Mr. and Mrs. Gunther someone will be in to speak with you shortly. May I interest you in some coffee?"

"Yes please," they said in unison.

The door closed behind him.

"I don't like that Guy," said Mr. Gunther.

"You don't like anyone Jack."

"I like you," he said with a smile.

"Jack I'm so scared. What if we don't find her?"

Jack wrapped his arm around Carol and kissed her forehead.

"We're gonna find her babe, everything is going to be okay."

Jack and Caroline interlocked fingers just as an aristocratic gentleman entered the room. In his hands he held a manilla folder.

"Good morning Mr. and Mrs. Gunther. My name is detective Kurt Burnaham I'll be working on your daughters case."

Kurt Burnaham greeted Jack and Caroline Gunther by shaking them both firmly by the hand.

"I'd like to start off by asking you a few questions."

Detective Burnaham took a seat adjacent to the Gunthers and removed his suit-jacket.

"Okay you's gotta help me out here. What exactly do we know?"

Mr. Gunther cleared his throat then he spoke.

"Our daughter Rosalie, she's a straight A student, has never run away from home, great kid detective. She excels in almost everything. She has a boyfriend name Sam Foster. She was suppose to be going over to his house for a small gathering last night. She left our house at around 6:00pm. Told us she was meeting up with one of her friends. Alice is her name. I think.

Detective Burnaham squinted his eyes.

"What kind of gathering?"

Before Jack could respond Caroline chimed in.

"Oh you know how Teens are. It was as small party. Rosalie is very responsible. We trust her. That's why we're here. This is so unlike her Detective. Not to come home."

"Mrs. Gunther how old is your daughter?"

"She going to be 20 soon."

"Mr. and Mrs. Gunther have we gotten in touch with the boyfriend at all since the disappearance?"

"I tried this morning." Caroline reached for her purse.

"Mrs. Gunther please, Sam is considered a suspect as of right now we can't afford to scare him off, if he hasn't left town already."

Caroline dropped her cell phone back into her purse and zipped it up.

"Detective what should we do?"

Kurt Burnaham slid a piece of paper and rolled a pen in Mr. Gunther's direction.

"Fill out this missing person's report. It'll give us a better description of your daughter. As far as looking for her. I'm afraid there's not much we can do until she's been missing for 24 hours. In this case, because of the fact that she's not under 18. Mr. and Mrs. Gunther...did it ever occur to you that your daughter doesn't want to be found."

"WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?"

Caroline slammed her hands on the desk as she stood up.

"Mrs. Gunther if you would just-

"Jack let's go!"

"Thanks for nothing!"

"Babe he's trying to help."

Mr. Gunther followed his wife out of the small room. Looking back at the detective on his way out and shrugging his shoulders. As if saying "Imagine being married to her."

Detective Burnaham shook his head.