Chapter 6

16 October 1999  5:15pm Jupiter, NC

1 week later

The Gunther's POV

The Gunthers had spent the entire evening handing out flyers to people all over town. It was a slow and uneventful day.

"People of Jupiter. I'd like to speak on behalf of all parents in the crowd when I say there is no greater pain than not knowing weather you're child is safe or weather that child is even alive. And so I ask you, the people of Jupiter please help find my daughter Rosalie. And to the person who has taken her. I am willing to offer any sum of money for my daughters safe return. Please. I just want my family back."

Mrs. Gunther stepped off the podium and hugged her husband. A Gentleman nearby took the stage and closed the press conference accordingly.

A familiar man approached the Gunthers almost immediately.

"Mr. and Mrs. Gunther please follow me." said detective Kurt Burnaham.

He appeared distressed.

"Is everything okay detective?" Mr. Gunther said, placing both hands inside the pockets of his jeans.

"Just please. Come with me."

They followed the detective and were placed in the back of a black, tinted Dodge. The silent drive from the press conference to police headquarters was agonizing.

Upon arrival the Gunthers were placed in an interrogation room. They were left alone for a short time before detective Burnaham came in and took a seat across from them.

Jack Gunther stopped pacing and joined Caroline and Detective Burnaham at the table.

"Mr. And Mrs Gunther-"

Detective Burnaham tried to find the right words to say but his mouth had gone bone dry.

He cleared his throat and tried again.

"Mr. And Mrs. Gunther I'm sorry to inform you-"

"No! NO NO NO PLEASE DON'T SAY IT!"

"I'm sorry to inform you but we've come across a body!"

"NO!"

Mrs. Gunther lost her breath with that final, shrieking no. She broke down into hysterical sobs and fell to her knees.

"NO NO NO!" She repeated, stomping the ground with her fists.

"MY BABY NOOO!"

Mr. Gunther had bent down to console his wife, but who was to console him? He wept just as hard. There, together they sat on the floor weeping and mourning, unable to accept let alone understand the horrid news.

"I'll give you some time to absorb this Mr. And Mrs. Gunther. I'll be just outside that door if you need me.

16 October 1999  6:00pm

Alice's POV

I checked my makeup in the reflection of my phone screen. Me and Sam decided to meet for coffee on Main Street.