SHATTER

Well,it all began when Lena Singh was only 15 years old . Just a tiny tot making her way  through  high school . She was aware of the turmoil that comes with being a high school student. Puberty , body changes and mood swings, she had seen it all. Lena grew up in a very protected atmosphere , she wasn't allowed to hang out with her fellow companions like any other girls of her age would probably do. Although she stayed in a naive environment ,she remained strong,opinionated and well informed . Her school was the only outside world for her,her friends where her only source of entertainment,the only people to hold on to ,her only pillars of support and the only reason she was surviving in this banished atmosphere.But she was not the only one going thought this, her sister Jhil was also a victim to these atrocities

               Another spring morning,Mr Singh was on his table sipping his lemon tea from his china,holding Indian Times in his hands. Lena rushed down the stairs.with clumsy feet ,almost falling of stairs. Mr Singh rolled his eyeballs and looked up. "What hurricane has hit you so early today? Can you be more graceful in your walk?" . Lena stood upright somehow gaining power over her cerebellum, "Maa, Pa ,Didi!!, This is the best day of my life . You cannot believe what just happened." Jhil stood up, dropping her spoon into her cereal with milk splashing all around her bowl. All looked at Lena with a sense of curiosity,what ad gotten into her ? What made her so happy?. "I got a mail from Medill School Of Journalism, Evanston. Can you believe they accepted my proposal." Lena had a passion to travel. Although she had been nowhere out of her city,she loved the idea of travel.She has written a few travel stories based on the description her friends would give her. A few days earlier she had sent her work to Medill University Evanston who were offering scholarships to foreign students. Jhil ran up to her "Lenu!! are u serious??...i always knew you would reach heights,I'm so proud of u. "What is this going on? what are you talking about?" Mr Singh cluelesly stared at his girls. "papa, Lenu just got scholarship for travel journalism in USA , she just received mail. Isn't that great?" . Harshdeep Singh, although a self made businessman ,was a man who was so very conservative that it touched peaks and a man who swan in his ego. He with a jerk stood up, looked at the with 'THE LOOK' and at once they knew , there was a storm awaiting them shortly. "who did you ask before doing something so stupid? do you hear yourself? Savitri what has gotten into this girl ? does she know what this is ?". Savitri was helpless. What could a middle aged home-maker do ? on one side was her arrogant husband and on the other side the harvest of her womb! she decided to remain shut! "what will you do huh? ,Journalist it seems . you are ready to go around with any boy anywhere roaming like a bloody hippy?.i don't want this ridiculous nonsense talks, don't be a lunatic and spoil your life no future in this okay ." Lena was suddenly surrounded by a sense of disappointment,all she ever dreamed of was shattered and the ashes and dust swarm all around her . She still had hope . " But,pa ."she added, just for another attempt . " Look Lena i am not your foe or your rival to put you down,what will you do ?how much will you earn 20,000 rupees per month,you think you can do anything with that? you have a good life i have planned for you ,become a doctor ,get recognized and work for it .Understand?.i wouldn't want to hear another such story ever again. Is that clear?.She knew telling anything was just pointless, she hung her head down,nodded with approval."jhil, your her sister tell her something some time ?"Lena your exams are due shortly delete these email account its all waste of time and one more thing what is this Pa?where is the other half of the word? Papa okay ? am i clear?". Mr Singh trotted out of the house without another word, like a man of stone. "Lenu..," jhil looked at her sister to see tears rolling down the valley she had between her nasal septum and cheeks .

     With a content smile Lena traced her footsteps back to her room.