prologue 1 It.

The eater of worlds:
Science will never confirm It's origins. Whether It be from space, or some further place than we know. In fact, science will not even concede to accept Its existence at all. Those feeble minds unable to unmask such devastating horror as the one we known in Derry.
When it plays out in my mind, the coming of such a dreaded entity, or as much as is conceivable, I picture It as follows. Forgive me, should any assumptions or half truths be found here in said assumption. My theory, of the origin of the face of evil:

We were twelve, give or take, me and the crew with me; who breathed in the fumes of the branches burned there in the Barron's. We did it for a reason. Or, maybe we did it because we were to young to reason sanity at any level. What we were doing does not coincide with sanity at any length. I guess it could be appropriately stated, no, reason had no lot in this at all.
Me and my good friend Richie were in the clubhouse that day. We, the lucky seven had dug the hole and built the structure under Ben's supervision; our club house. The structure had been built in a large hole, to hide, in case Henry and his thugs showed their ugly mugs.
We all had a story. Some told, some not. I had a massive bird that tried to kill me, Beverly had her bathroom incident, Ben saw a mummy, Eddie a leprous hobo, Richie and bill kept their interaction with, It, secret thus far. Perhaps, had they told us, we would have been to scared out of our wits to do anything. Fate, or the turtle maybe, had another idea in mind.
We were burning green vegetation inside the clubhouse. Some kind of Indians practiced such things. It was a ritual to open the minds eye.. The smoke billowed out of the roof of our club. Lucky we didn't get our fool selves killed.
As the smoke became to much, the others climbed out. By the end of the experiment, Richie and myself remained. That was when we were made aware of one threat. Castle Rock would be made known of the other.
I tell this to you now because,  in time this could become lost beyond recollection. I spend my days, now, eating durritos and reading up on the secret history of Derry. As such, I have little more to do than extract my fading memory of...It, to jot down in these pages. Not that I would expect or encourage any to read it.
That day, in 1957, we had come to terms that something was terribly wrong here in Derry. More than Henry Bowers. This evil was nameless, faceless, and it was everywhere. It lurked in the cellars, storm drains, ever present, with a longing to feast on the flesh of children.
The burning branches that filled the clubhouse with a billowing mass of smoke served its cause. Richie and I were, as it were, entering another place. It sounds silly when I say it like that, yet for  lack of a more precise description, we were no longer in Derry.
The clubhouse we were formerly in expanded in size. The small room soon became enormous. I can't perceive any way to describe the event other than surreal.
This Indian ritual was called the ritual of Chud. We underwent a kind of out of body experience, a hallucination of some kind. The ritual of Chud revealed to Richie and myself, the origins of this nightmare that would ensue.
It was not from earth. It was native, in as much as something who comes to a place, lives there for a length of who knows how long, and makes  them self at home is native. It can even be said that It is more earthling than we, being that It was here first. I dread to think that It may have arrived only to terrorise humans. Still, how did humans survive It?
Dwelling on such terrifying happenings is maddening.
I am compelled to write about these events, here in the library where I work, before I forget. Maybe I should forget. Maybe I want to.
Well, as it is still somehow engrained on the fading part of my mind, I will say, that day in the clubhouse so long ago; before we grew up and became estranged, we saw It. In the hallucination where Richie and I seemed to go backward in time we saw. In a prehistoric era, we saw...It arrive on earth.